URGENT! 2017 QUestion #5 structure help!!

abelkoontz

“Given access to the same facts, how is it possible that there can be disagreement between the experts in a discipline?”

What "claim" am I supposed to have if my examples are Evolution and Biological vs Socio-cultural influences on behaviour?? And that my main argument is that different backgrounds cause disagreements because different perspectives? 

I DONT KNOW how to structure this?? 

So your AOK is the human sciences and WOK is reason? Hm, I'm a bit confused about what you're asking – the whole essay structure like it seems in the title or just the claims? You need to have a claim and then a counterclaim (or you probably could structure it differently, but I think this is the most common way). The claim then could be "There is a disagreement because individuals have different backgrounds" and the counterclaim "However, facts are facts... etc." or something similar. You would need to come up with another claim for your essay though. Maybe you should choose another WOK and base a claim on that?

I hope this helped you a little at least... ^_^ Google "TOK essay structure" and maybe you'll find some helpful tips. I looked at this list when I structured my essay:

https://ibmastery.mykajabi.com/blog/how-to-structure-a-theory-of-knowledge-essay

4 minutes ago, licia said:

So your AOK is the human sciences and WOK is reason? Hm, I'm a bit confused about what you're asking – the whole essay structure like it seems in the title or just the claims? You need to have a claim and then a counterclaim (or you probably could structure it differently, but I think this is the most common way). The claim then could be "There is a disagreement because individuals have different backgrounds" and the counterclaim "However, facts are facts... etc." or something similar. You would need to come up with another claim for your essay though. Maybe you should choose another WOK and base a claim on that?

I hope this helped you a little at least... ^_^ Google "TOK essay structure" and maybe you'll find some helpful tips. I looked at this list when I structured my essay:

https://ibmastery.mykajabi.com/blog/how-to-structure-a-theory-of-knowledge-essay

OMG so i just kinda figured out what I'm going to do? can you tell me if this makes sense?

1st para: intro

2nd: Disagreements are due to social backgrounds which change interpretations - evolution: science vs religion 

3rd: counterclaim: both can come to a conclusion together - incorporating evolution into creation e.g 7 days equals billions of years

4th: Disagreements due to reductionist research, leading to conclusions the researcher only wanted to find - some psych study

5th: counterclaim: NOT SURE YET

6th: what makes someone an expert??? personal experience??

7th: conclusion

PLEASE HELP I DONT GET IT 

9 minutes ago, abelkoontz said:

OMG so i just kinda figured out what I'm going to do? can you tell me if this makes sense?

1st para: intro

2nd: Disagreements are due to social backgrounds which change interpretations - evolution: science vs religion 

3rd: counterclaim: both can come to a conclusion together - incorporating evolution into creation e.g 7 days equals billions of years

4th: Disagreements due to reductionist research, leading to conclusions the researcher only wanted to find - some psych study

5th: counterclaim: NOT SURE YET

6th: what makes someone an expert??? personal experience??

7th: conclusion

PLEASE HELP I DONT GET IT 

I'm confused about the 2nd paragraph... How are you going to argue about science vs religion? Are these two AOK for the claim? Your claims seem good otherwise, but I feel like it's a big confusing in which areas and ways of knowing you are exploring. What is your AOK and WOK in the 4th paragraph? Are you still going to do science or religion? Why are they basing conclusions on only what they want to find? Are they using emotion? Reason?

1 minute ago, licia said:

I'm confused about the 2nd paragraph... How are you going to argue about science vs religion? Are these two AOK for the claim? Your claims seem good otherwise, but I feel like it's a big confusing in which areas and ways of knowing you are exploring. What is your AOK and WOK in the 4th paragraph? Are you still going to do science or religion? Why are they basing conclusions on only what they want to find? Are they using emotion? Reason?

Wait. If i say science and religion for AOK, can I not do the psych one? Cause doesn't that refer to sciences as well. For the 4th paragraph, I just meant reductionism e.g only focusing on biological aspects of results instead of incorporating social background as well. Would the WOK be reason? Also, do you have any suggestions for counterclaims on the 5th paragraph? 

9 minutes ago, licia said:

Also for the evolution bit, I just mean like evolution conflicts with biblical creation. but in 3rd paragraph, you can say they were both incorporated. How am i supposed to argue about the social backgrounds part otherwise?? if this doesn't work?

2 minutes ago, abelkoontz said:

Wait. If i say science and religion for AOK, can I not do the psych one? Cause doesn't that refer to sciences as well. For the 4th paragraph, I just meant reductionism e.g only focusing on biological aspects of results instead of incorporating social background as well. Would the WOK be reason? Also, do you have any suggestions for counterclaims on the 5th paragraph? 

I think you can use a psychology study if you choose the natural sciences. However, I feel like evolution is more of a human science since you seem to want to argue for social backgrounds etc. But I think the WOK could work as reason. And no, I unfortunately don't have any suggestions for counterclaim because I'm the worst at those :blink:

Although, if I were you I would choose the AOK's as history and ethics, but that's just me and what I have interests for. But then I would use a RLS as people denying the Holocaust and use emotion as the WOK. Maybe their grandpa was a Nazi and therefore they want to deny it because of the family shame, or something similar. I just find the sciences hard to argue for in this, but I'm sure you'll figure it out.

This sounds like a really good introduction! It's way more clear to me now how religion and the sciences interacts in your essay. However, be careful with copyright. Can't the teacher check if the text your sending him/her already exists on internet? They're able to do so in Sweden at least, and I assume it's the same in China. It might look like you've taken the text directly from here and sent your teacher, even though you were the one that wrote it. I'm not sure how copyright works though.

Edited by licia

Just now, licia said:

This sounds like a really good introduction! It's way more clear to me now how religion and the sciences interacts in your essay. However, be careful with copyright. Can't the teacher check if the text your sending him/her already exists on internet? They're able to do so in Sweden at least, and I assume it's the same in China. It might look like you've taken the text directly from here and sent your teacher, even though you were the one that wrote it. I'm not sure how copyright works though.

OMG I'LL DELETE THE POST BUT THANKS FOR YOUR HELP! Yeah we use turnitin.com :(