Computer Science in Canada?

LegendaryEngineer

Hey 

Im doing the full IB diploma with Maths HL, Physics HL and Computer Science HL, Business Management SL, English Lang and Lit SL and Language AB Initio SL 

I have anticipated IB score of 6 in everything except business which is 7 plus two points for EE so my total anticipated IB score is 39 points. I want to study computer science at either the University of Waterloo or the University of Toronto. What are my chances of getting in? 

I did the new SAT with a score of 1400/1600. 

Please reply as soon as possible. Thank yo very much. :D 

Canadian unis don't look at SAT scores.

For UWaterloo, a mark of 6 in your HL Math is the minimum needed to apply for computer science, and you need a total of 32 marks for your IB total. I can't find the minimum mark needed for Math or English for UToronto.

The UToronto faculty of arts and sciences site says:

"A predicted score of 28 or more is required for a provisional offer of of admission. More competitive programs require at least 30 and as much as 35 on predicted scores"

In the end, I think you have a nice chance at getting into both. Your overall IB total is high enough. Really work on your Math HL if you can, since it's the most important course for a computer science program. I doubt that either uni will really consider your Computer Science HL mark as a major factor in your admission - Canadian unis don't stray far from looking at admission requirements. 

• 1 month later...

You only need you take SAT or ACT if you are an American citizen. 

For U of W, you need a minimum of 6 in math SL or HL (math HL is recommended), and a minimum of 5 in English A (regardless of the specific course). Then you need at least 32 points for you predicted grade without the bonus points (TOK, EE). 

U of T did not specify whatever grade you need, so apparently you are definitely good for applying it and have a great chance of getting in. 

Personally, I recommend you go to University of Waterloo since you are taking computer science, because its math faculty is really good in North America. 

Edited by Ludwig S
  • Like 2