about G4 project...

shining.clover

[quote name='shining.clover' post='28075' date='Nov 9 2008, 10:04 AM']Hello! I'm new to IB this yr... going to have exam in may 2010.

in science, we are about to do Group 4 project with other science people. i take bio and chem but i also have physics people.
If you have a good examples/ideas, please help me....its due january next year!![/quote]

You should be given a prescribed topic. Something very vague, that you take from a macro level to micro, on a specific science perspective. Like some schools would say chocolate, and then the kids test the heat capacity of chocolate, or use different separation methods to quantify its aspects.

[quote name='biochem' post='28076' date='Nov 9 2008, 11:15 AM']You should be given a prescribed topic. Something very vague, that you take from a macro level to micro, on a specific science perspective. Like some schools would say chocolate, and then the kids test the heat capacity of chocolate, or use different separation methods to quantify its aspects.[/quote]

I thought you were supposed to choose your own topic? At least that's what happened at my school. Some people tested water safety in local rivers (pH, BOD, etc). Others did efficiency of different laundry detergents in removing a particular type of stain. I can't remember the other topics.

[quote name='shining.clover' post='28075' date='Nov 9 2008, 03:04 PM']Hello! I'm new to IB this yr... going to have exam in may 2010.

in science, we are about to do Group 4 project with other science people. i take bio and chem but i also have physics people.
If you have a good examples/ideas, please help me....its due january next year!![/quote]

our theme for G4 is energy..

• 2 weeks later...

[font="Palatino Linotype"]Our school's G4 project had milk and dairy products as their general outline. From there we could do heaps of things.
We just sat down and jotted down our ideas. We came down to create different kinds of ice cream. We would then make four samples; changing the ingredients such as yoghurt instead of milk, artificial sweetener with sugar etc.

The physicists would calculate the time it would take for to freeze. The chemists would look at the molecular formulas and analyse. I as a biologist/chemist would calculate the energy content (kJ) for each sample, and calculate how long it would to actual burn 25 grams of it. The aim of the experiment was basically then the change of structure, taste, energy content when we changed the ingredients to a more healthy alternative. Actually, it all came down that the healthiest ice cream would be the one with the best taste, who'd knew.

Our project group won a prize, and hence a full mark for our IA. It was heaps of fun, and I got to eat healthy ice cream with few calories, so I was quite happy.[/font]

[quote name='Dennis Valentine' post='28691' date='Nov 19 2008, 10:26 AM'][font="Palatino Linotype"]Our project group won a prize, and hence a full mark for our IA. It was heaps of fun, and I got to eat healthy ice cream with few calories, so I was quite happy.[/font][/quote]The G4 project is actually part of your IA, the 24% of your final mark?

• 2 weeks later...