How do I demonstrate understanding and knowledge of a work?

theiblife

So in English A HL, criterion A in the IOP focuses on knowledge and understanding of the novel. How do I show this in my presentation? I am doing character analysis through the main character's relationships and interactions with other people (indirect characterization).

So would I show understanding by using quotes to support all of my points, analyzing the phrases and explaining their significance, and then concluding it by how this new knowledge adds to the reader's understanding of the novel? This is what I think I should do. . . 

To those who have done their IOP, can you guys please help me? I want to get really good marks on this :)

From what I remember, our teacher suggested the best way to do so was to use quotations and examples from various sections of your work (e.g. if it's a book then using examples from both the start, middle, and end of the book as opposed to being focused on just one chapter), and then the rest as you said. Good luck!

Edited by Guest

• 2 weeks later...

Getting really high marks in Criterion A Knowledge and Understanding comes down to a couple things.

• Having a correct interpretation. Make sure your interpretation is actually reasonable and can be supported by your quotes.
  • Find insightful ideas. Once you've got the basic interpretation, try to extend this. Try to find ideas that are non-obvious and yet able to be supported by quotes in the text. An example of this is if most people interpret a character's role to be X, but you have found that the character's role is Y in addition to X.
  • Analyse a broad range of literary elements. You say that you are analysing characterisation. Don't just focus on who said what and who did what. Try to add in some interesting techniques, themes, as well as comparison and contrast of characters.

Hope this helps!

• Like 2