Fresh out of Pre-IB Entrance Exam (AMA)

Guest Dqnny

Hey, I just took the IB entrance exam (At Bayview SS if anyone is wondering) and before I took the exam I had a lot of questions and concerns which I can now answer myself. If anyone has any questions for me, ask away!

3 hours ago, Rebecca132 said:

I am also thinking of going to bayview in the future and I am buried in questions!!!!!! How difficult was each section? I heard you only had 25 minutes, was it hard to complete all the questions?

Hey, it is correct that there is about 25 minutes per section. For me, the english section had about 34 questions, the math had 21 questions, and french had 50. Personally, I had a lot of extra time to review my answers. The English section was a paragraph of text followed by 3-4 comprehension questions. The math was almost every subject and french was mainly vocab words. I hope that answered your questions and helped! :)

3 hours ago, Dqnny said:

Hey, it is correct that there is about 25 minutes per section. For me, the english section had about 34 questions, the math had 21 questions, and french had 50. Personally, I had a lot of extra time to review my answers. The English section was a paragraph of text followed by 3-4 comprehension questions. The math was almost every subject and french was mainly vocab words. I hope that answered your questions and helped! :)

Thanks, that was really helpful. My exam is on the Tuesday one ^^ and I'm freaking out so much...my English is not that great and I have 86 average on report card...I know they require grade 7 final report card, but do they accept grade 8 progress report? 

PLEASE GIVE ME SOME TIPS IF YOU HAVE ANY REGARDING THE EXAM!!

And I hope the best of luck to your acceptance as well:D

33 minutes ago, Rebecca132 said:

Thanks, that was really helpful. My exam is on the Tuesday one ^^ and I'm freaking out so much...my English is not that great and I have 86 average on report card...I know they require grade 7 final report card, but do they accept grade 8 progress report? 

PLEASE GIVE ME SOME TIPS IF YOU HAVE ANY REGARDING THE EXAM!!

And I hope the best of luck to your acceptance as well:D

I had mine early morning today, and I could say it's way easier than I expected. For French, I would study vocabulary, and general French knowledge. For Math, it was a mix of every unit but was pretty simple (I didn't even use my calculator). As for English, you couldn't really study as it's mostly text comprehension(reading a text and then answering questions about what you just read) so I wouldn't stress that much. Good luck to you as well!

17 hours ago, Dqnny said:

I had mine early morning today, and I could say it's way easier than I expected. For French, I would study vocabulary, and general French knowledge. For Math, it was a mix of every unit but was pretty simple (I didn't even use my calculator). As for English, you couldn't really study as it's mostly text comprehension(reading a text and then answering questions about what you just read) so I wouldn't stress that much. Good luck to you as well!

Hmmm....doesn't look like I have much time to study -_-. Was there also a personal profile that they mentioned about? What did they ask you?

5 hours ago, Rebecca132 said:

Hmmm....doesn't look like I have much time to study -_-. Was there also a personal profile that they mentioned about? What did they ask you?

Yes, there is a personal profile that you have to write. Basically, you just have to write a paragraph about yourself and why you think you would be a good fit for the IB program. Personally, I just talked about my hobbies and my personality.

Hey Rebecca, I hope to meet you at the IB test tomorrow. What I would tell them (for the written profile), is what you've done in the past, and if your a leader or not!! For me, I've had many leadership roles, like student council, being a peace tree spirit leader, and being an eco leader of my school. It all depends on you, and what you'd like to tell them!! I hope we get in together!! ^_^

-Tiyam 

PS,,

I have an 88 average on my gr 7 report :lol: hehe dkm

30 minutes ago, Tiyam said:

Hey Rebecca, I hope to meet you at the IB test tomorrow. What I would tell them (for the written profile), is what you've done in the past, and if your a leader or not!! For me, I've had many leadership roles, like student council, being a peace tree spirit leader, and being an eco leader of my school. It all depends on you, and what you'd like to tell them!! I hope we get in together!! ^_^

-Tiyam 

PS,,

I have an 88 average on my gr 7 report :lol: hehe dkm

Agreed with this, I wish the best of luck for both of you. Maybe we can all be classmates one year lol.

For the profile, would we have to tell them why we are a good fit for IB or just talk about ourselves. Is it an essay or paragraph?  And for the french, what were the questions like? (eg: find the word which doesn't relate to the other 3?). Just curious as my exam is today. I hope we can all see each other in IB!

Edited by ovoxo_say1

On 11/22/2016 at 1:23 PM, Dgcnxbfdhmvnvcgnnx said:

Hey everyone

Throw away account, I was first place in the Waterloo math content in grade 7 so I know for sure I aced the math section.

The rest of it was all pretty easy, finished with a good amount of time left.

See you guys in Bayview next year I guess?

We'll see, I went Bayview for my first option and Alex Mac for second. I might get stuck with Alex Mac bc that's the closest to where I live. I too felt as if the math section was very easy. 

On 11/22/2016 at 1:23 PM, Dgcnxbfdhmvnvcgnnx said:

Hey everyone

Throw away account, I was first place in the Waterloo math content in grade 7 so I know for sure I aced the math section.

The rest of it was all pretty easy, finished with a good amount of time left.

See you guys in Bayview next year I guess?

Sorry I didn't see your reply! I hope you did well!

• 1 month later...
14 minutes ago, Rebecca132 said:

Do you know if you also receive an email if you got rejected? Bay view just called me saying my email was invalid so they're going to email me again...I'm so scared..

I think so because some of my classmates who applied got an email saying they were waitlisted. However, maybe it could just be a different school?

Edited by ovoxo_say1