Need ideas for Maths IA SL!

Jy1151

Hey guys, I'm a bit stuck coming up for a topic regarding to my maths IA, 

Is there any ideas in real life which I could apply maths in and write 12 pages on?

Optimisation, probability would be good :) any other topics are welcome

Thanks very much guys!

Kind regards and cheers :)

Edited by Jy1151

What are you interested in? It's kind of hard to just give you a random topic cause I can't think of one off the top of my head, but if you have an affinity for sports (for example) there could be some scenarios you can try. Also personal engagement is pretty much 25% of the grade for the IA so it's a good place to start. 

PS. 12 pages is the upper page limit so if you had 6 pages of sufficient math it would be okay. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shlrley said:

What are you interested in? It's kind of hard to just give you a random topic cause I can't think of one off the top of my head, but if you have an affinity for sports (for example) there could be some scenarios you can try. Also personal engagement is pretty much 25% of the grade for the IA so it's a good place to start. 

PS. 12 pages is the upper page limit so if you had 6 pages of sufficient math it would be okay. 

Hey!

I was thinking about a range of topics and these are the ones I've thought about

modelling of any sort, 

Im also interested in sport related maths

I know this may sound absurd but I was also thinking about focusing on 

probability in hearthstone 

vectors and optimisation in jungling pathways in league of legends

any suggestions is appreciated ! :)

Thank you! 

Edited by Jy1151

I can't believe you're asking this question. Have you tried googling the keywords such as "optimization problem" or "high school probability topics" at all? If you've done that and still haven't found anything, then I can understand. In your second post you've just come up with a few ideas already (e.g. probability in hearthstone, vectors and optimisation in jungling pathways in league of legends). You have ideas! Ask others if your ideas are worth doing. Do NOT ask for ideas themselves!

When you ask for ideas at the last minute it simply suggests that this forum is where people beg for ideas instead of vetting them for their feasibility. Don't beg! This is not the purpose of this forum.

Also, regarding the page limit, there isn't any. The IB Math SL curriculum documents suggests between 6-12 pages but there is no actual limit and you are not penalized for going over the page limit. That being said, focus on quality not quantity. If you have a lot of quality material and need more pages then you're totally fine. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, IB Math Helper said:

I can't believe you're asking this question. Have you tried googling the keywords such as "optimization problem" or "high school probability topics" at all? If you've done that and still haven't found anything, then I can understand. In your second post you've just come up with a few ideas already (e.g. probability in hearthstone, vectors and optimisation in jungling pathways in league of legends). You have ideas! Ask others if your ideas are worth doing. Do NOT ask for ideas themselves!

When you ask for ideas at the last minute it simply suggests that this forum is where people beg for ideas instead of vetting them for their feasibility. Don't beg! This is not the purpose of this forum.

Also, regarding the page limit, there isn't any. The IB Math SL curriculum documents suggests between 6-12 pages but there is no actual limit and you are not penalized for going over the page limit. That being said, focus on quality not quantity. If you have a lot of quality material and need more pages then you're totally fine. 

Haha sorry, this isn't last minute, Im just trying to ask for sample ideas to spark my mind. That being said, from the above samples, is the questions worthy of doing? Thank you very much. 

:)