Math IA Questions

Strawberry123

I am in Math SL and I am having problems on deciding on a topic and i have problems with the IA in general. I have a few options in mind but am I don't really understand the point of the IA such as what am I supposed to do in the IA and what exactly am I exploring

- Infinity and the different proprieties such as cantors diagonal method and how some infinities sets are bigger than other infinite sets

- Projectile motion and how it would apply to various sports such as tennis and golf

- Fourier series and transformations (although with this one I am worried that its to much for my level)

- Chaos theory and the math associated with it

Anyone suggestions and help would be appreciated 

Edited by Strawberry123

I think the easiest one to do is the projectile motion one. I would suggest a sport that you like and can easily collect data for.

The point of the IA is to demonstrate your understanding of mathematics and apply it to the "real" world. Criterion A (Communication), B (Mathematical Presentation) and E (Mathematical Understanding) are relatively easy to score high marks in if you good with notation and demonstrating math at a high level. The other two criteria, Criterion C (Personal Engagement) and D (Reflection), are harder to score on because they require you to show an in-depth understanding of the material (almost to an emotional level) while being able to explain things clearly and succinctly. 

For example, say you decide to model the projectile motion of a volleyball. You can collect some data with a GoPro or other camera to show a time-lapse photo of a volleyball serve, model it with a quadratic equation, find the optimal angle of the hit etc and explain all your assumptions along the way. If you can do this well then you can score well on Criterions A, B and E. Now, to do well on criterion C and D, you need to focus on what can make a volleyball serve better. Perhaps the volleyball player needs to work on their upper arm strength, do exercises specifically related to increasing forearm strength, show that the height of player is irrelevant compared to the power in their muscles, that is, a short strong player is preferred to a tall, weak and lanky player.  Look at studies done by sport researchers, coaches, sport psychologists etc on what they have to say (i.e. cite experts). By the way, I've made this example up so parts of it might not be true. The point here is to do a level of research that ties in the mathematics with helping anyone reading it with a real world solution. This shows Personal Engagement.

Hope this helps give you an understanding of what is expected for an IA.