Help me pick an IOP topic!

Inigo Montoya

Hello everyone!

I've got a practice IOP next week, and the real thing after the holidays. I have 2 ideas for topics, one for my practice and one for the real thing. My problem is, I can't pick! My book is The Great Gatsby, by the way. Here are my ideas:

• To what extent is Nick Carrawayan unreliable narrator, and how does Fitzgerald use this to present the ambiguity of the Jazz Age?
  • Feminist interpretation of The Great Gatsby

My teacher said the former is more interesting, the latter more simple. He said both would be good topic, but I just can't choose, and I don't want to regret it later! Both let me look at characterisation/context/symbolism/Fitzgerald's intentions/etc, but some more than others. For instance, the former lets me look a lot at Fitzgerald using Nick as his voice to potentially manipulate us into feeling personal bias towards/against characters.

Any ideas? Help is much appreciated?

I think it depends on your personal presenting skills the most. If you are confident in yourself and good at organizing an IOP style presentation, go with the first one as it is likelier to get you more marks. However, if you are like me, that is, someone who confuses themselves easily and gets extremely worried during presentations, to the point of almost fainting... then you probably should stick with the second one, as it is harder to mess up and is a bit less content in general, so you'll have more time to waste by blabbering and stuttering. I don't know you, so I can't really pick one for you. But I think both of these topics could work, as long as they're suited to your style of presenting.

Also, another important thing to consider, which you didn't say, is if you're standard or higher level? The examiners always expect more from HL students, so if you are HL, you might be better off sticking with the first topic for your real Oral, even if you are not too good at presenting...