Nov09 May10 Title 7

ibgenius

hello

i am struggling with the TOK essay...lol

my essay topic is

"we see and understand things not as they are but as we are" discuss this claim in relation to at least 2 ways of knowing

i'm thinking of using perception, emotion, and reason...

does anyone have any suggestions or advice?

plz help...... =( :'(

and is this a good thesis statement?

The way we view things differs from what they really are because when we try to understand them, our perception, reason and emotion take place without our notice.

thank you soooo much

Hmm, never heard of this topic before. Are you a 2010 candidate?

I think the topic refers to the fact that there is no objective understanding of facts. A series of factors such as culture, experience and perhaps even instinct contribute to the process. At least the first time I read it that's what I thought of.

Don't worry, it's not as complicated as it seems. Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I must say this is a rather hard tok topic, any tok geek lovers keen to give us a little hint to get us started :D .

Ive got:

See and understand is the searching for truth,

how can we define truth,

talk about how individual perception can affect what we understand...then I got :D...

Emotion, language, and reason also depend on the individual. Through logic, you and I could come to different conclusions to a question. Personal experiences and beliefs/values also affect the way we interpret our surroundings and our perception of things.

hello

i am struggling with the TOK essay...lol

my essay topic is

"we see and understand things not as they are but as we are" discuss this claim in relation to at least 2 ways of knowing

i'm thinking of using perception, emotion, and reason...

does anyone have any suggestions or advice?

plz help...... =( :'(

and is this a good thesis statement?

The way we view things differs from what they really are because when we try to understand them, our perception, reason and emotion take place without our notice.

thank you soooo much

I suggest you change the thesis statement, maybe reword it a little bit more. I understand where you are going with the thesis statement, but rewording the sentence will help improve the impression of the essay, especially when it is written in the introduction. =)

As for the question, it is quite an interesting question, I do agree with the idea of "preception" as it does include such.....if you are going to talk bout emotion or reason, be sure to add in either personal examples or really good examples that will support your ideas.

When I look at this question, I think about ethics and perpection actually <--cuz our perspective changes if we are raised in different background and beliefs....

**hope that helped =)**

• 2 weeks later...
One question!!? I Dont kno, Does the Knowledge essaymean the title? Or the thesis? Are we supposed to create our own knowledge issue?

Im doing the same TITLE, but i dont kno where or what to do about my knowledge issue

I am sorry to tell you this but, that is suppossed to be very basic info your teacher should give you even before starting your essay. The Knowledge Issue you are given or chose is the title of your essay. It should be also mentioned in a literal way in the first paragraph, since examiners should be able to know your chosen topic without reading the title. Your thesis will try to support or argue against the knowledge issue. So, as you can see they are not the same thing. Well, at least that is the way they have been telling us to do it, and I hope it helps. Anyway, you seem quite confused so maybe you should ask your teacher.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey..

i'm going to be doing this question for my essay...

one question tho..

my teacher has told me that i have to identify three areas of knowledge that would be relevant to the title..

i was wondering if i could get some help on this because i really can't seem to work out which AoKs would be relevant to this question.

thanks

Emotion, language, and reason also depend on the individual. Through logic, you and I could come to different conclusions to a question. Personal experiences and beliefs/values also affect the way we interpret our surroundings and our perception of things.

I'd take a serious step back before claiming that reason depends on an individual. Usually those things that vary are the various irrationalities that find their way in to the human mind and that cloud reason.

• 2 months later...

'We see and understand things not as they are but as we are.' Discuss this claim in relation to at least two ways of knowing.

This is the topic I'm writing on; at first, I thought it'd be quiete easy, but I'm having a great difficulty in approaching this.

For two WoKs, I'm planning to use perception ("see") and reason ("understand").

I have some ideas what to say on perception, but I'm having troubles in dealing with reason.

And of course, I need to link AoK, which I haven't decided on.. (maybe art, nautral sciences or history).

How would you interpret this topic as, because I see two ways of doing it.

1. Our perception is colored by our past experiences.

2. This example, I got from "TOK Help?" answered by Sandwich:

"As for Areas of Knowledge, science is a brilliant one to talk about. We build up scientific models, but they're always just models of reality (eg Bohr's atom) and not how things ARE. They work for us as people and we can use them to interpret the world, but they are themselves interpretations of the world. Literature is all interpretation and an attempt to analyse the world or present certain ideas."

I'm confused whether I should cover both or just one or do they naturally link? :blink:

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.. I've been sitting in my room for past 2 days, feeling very lost. :mike:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have chosen to do the #7 title: "We see and understnad things no as they are but as we are." Discuss this clain in relation to at least two ways of knowing.

I would just like a jumping off point, I will talk about perception and emotion. I want to find examples in real life today and through the areas of knowledge. If anyone has any ideas I would appreciate it!

Edited by Gracey J

We see and understand thigs not as they are but as we are. Discuss the claim in relation to at least two ways of knowing . That is my TOK essay topic. My question is if u had to write that essay which 2 or 3 or even 4 ways of knowing you will choose and why?

Ok, first of all, that is your work, and that is what you get marks for, and you probably know this. In other words, you are asking for direct help which we will not give you here. Yuo should choose those on your own., build up the essay plan, then ask for our opinions and we will be happy to give them you.

Second of all, do not use text speak when you're using the forum please, thanks. (Haven't seen much in your post, but the 'u' could be added to 'yo' :( )