Extenuating circumstances

Empiral

So far since the beginning of this semester I have done great, with mostly 7s for predicted. I was confident that, if I could a good job on supplementaries, I won't have any trouble getting into my dream schools and programs.

However a few weeks ago life has hit me hard on my face. My mother passed away very suddenly and I am essentially in a wreck. I have been forcing myself to study and stuff, even though all my teachers are advising me otherwise, because I really want to make my mother happy by being able to get into my dream schools. Still, it's been hard, and my grades are somewhat slipping from tests in the last 2 weeks. 

I am wondering about extenuating circumstances. How do universities look upon extenuating circumstances? If I am only now dropping in grades after my mom's death, will they just instead look at my midterm marks before all this happened? 

• Like 2

Sorry to hear that:o You should explain your situation in your supplementaries. I think schools would accept you based on your previous performance and not have the recent drastic changes to your life impact your admission. Now best to find some way to relieve all the pressure, such as by going to the gym, or using squeeze balls, listening to music, or talking to close friends. It's definitely not good to give up on studying completely but be sure to find moments to collect your thoughts and take all this in. 

• Like 4

Firstly, I'm sorry for your loss :(

Yes, universities will most likely accommodate you and accept your midterm marks. Have a talk with your counselor about them sending in a letter or so, explaining your situation. I've been filling out university applications recently, and I've noted that on almost all forms, there was a section whether there was any situations that you'd like the university to be aware about, so you can fill that in as well.

Adding on to what @kw0573 has mentioned, it's really important to have some time for yourself and gather your thoughts. Don't worry about university admissions as I'm sure they'll consider your situation.

• Like 1