International Economics IA SL

Hey guys, so we're starting our international economics internal assessments, and I am in search of a topic

I found this about the OPEC meeting on November 30th and I wanted to know if I can write 750 crisp words about exports and cartels, but I think it might be more microeconomics than international. Any ideas on what to do?

article: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/industry-news/energy-and-resources/oil-prices-jump-on-prospects-for-opec-output-cut/article33097724/

Thank you!

The article is good but I would; say it is bit higher level for SL. First of all there are lot of many points to discuss in article which will be very difficult to condense into 750 words. Next you to discuss on futures trading which might be tougher to explain for SL. Thirdly cartel is supposed to work as a group, and now US Senate passed a renewal of sanctions (ISA) which only imposes sanctions on Iran. So then the politics is involved which is only targeting a member thereby complicating things . Fourthly you will need to explain the shale gas's feasibility as a substitute and you would need to analyze in detail the impact of its demand if the cartel cuts down the production of oil. 

The article is overall good, but I would go for a simpler article for SL, which involves tariffs, or quotas. They are much more simpler to write and explain.

Hi, 

I agree to the point made by @Black Bird Lockheed. I recommend you to take a print-out and annotate the article, highlight the points you can delve into your commentary. Ideally, you should not focus on more than one point and instead try to develop your selected point and explain its consequences for the different stakeholders involved. 

Here below is a link that I always use when doing my Econ IA, hope this helps :)

https://ibmastery.mykajabi.com/blog/how-to-write-the-economics-internal-assessment-getting-started

All the best :)