Is Lit or Lang Lit easier?

Felix Lauren

I'm a Lang Lit student and to be honest, I feel like it's much easier than Lit. It's also much more interesting. But then again, that just depends on what your interests are. If you're more into the use of language in advertising, propaganda, plays, poems, campaigns, etc, Lang and Lit is easier and more fun. Literature requires you to read much more so the workload is slightly more than that of Lang Lit. What are you thinking of doing?

I think it really depends on you as a student, and what you prefer. For example, I'm fairly certain LangLit would have been more difficult for me than Lit because I find poetry and novels easier to understand than a freakin' cereal packet. Like with most IB subjects, it depends on the individual too.

Me again! :) I think it depends on what your strengths are. Sodonwithib basically has what I want to say down, and really, if you're good at analysing novels and poetry and things like that, you'll prefer Lit, but if you're like me, you'll like Lang Lit more. We analysed emojis in the first class of the year, and that was super duper fun for me ;) But like everyone above me has said, you should pick the subject you'll enjoy more, because it's really no fun to take a subject that you hate. Hope this helps! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, meimiao said:

Me again! :) I think it depends on what your strengths are. Sodonwithib basically has what I want to say down, and really, if you're good at analysing novels and poetry and things like that, you'll prefer Lit, but if you're like me, you'll like Lang Lit more. We analysed emojis in the first class of the year, and that was super duper fun for me ;) But like everyone above me has said, you should pick the subject you'll enjoy more, because it's really no fun to take a subject that you hate. Hope this helps! 

Exactly. I love Lang Lit because I feel like it's more relevant in our society to analyse a bigger range of texts other than novels and plays. Advertising, online communications, things like that are so interesting to learn about and so relevant. My class studied advertising and public awareness campaigns for at least a couple months in total. I really enjoy the course and I feel like the variety of text types we study in general makes the course much more appealing and exciting.

Edited by sodonewithib

• 3 weeks later...

Every day of the week Lang and Lit, such  rich course that doesn't involve too much home reading/work. But it depends on the person though as I hate reading and I hate books, Lang and Lit spends half the curriculum on ways of speaking ex speech analysis, and the other half on literature analysis which quite frankly is not that bad.

• 2 weeks later...

i absolutely love langlit as it is very relevant to our everyday life... you'll start to notice how medias, news, or even political personalities (cough couh trump) uses specific languages to manipulate the audience. once again, it depends on your own preference!