Is partial IB worth it?

asadlightsaber

(I'm brand new to this site and I am confused but hi)

I'm in grade nine trynig to decide if I should do AP or IB and if I am going to do IB, if I should do partial. I'm hoping to become a teacher and the Ib courses I'd take are French HL, Engligh HL and CHemistry HL. 

What sort of benefits would taking partial give me and what are some disadvantages? Are they worth the heavy workloads? I know that universites look at the grades you get and not at the program, but they also look at if you have the IB diploma. 

Literally any sort of adivce would be great, thank you!

The full IB allows you to receive the IB Diploma. The partial program can only get you the certificate. So from what I know, it's not possible to receive the diploma without actually taking the required number of IB courses. I really recommend you do the full IB because since partial would only get you the certificate, the IB wouldn't be what it's worth. I honestly can't think of many benefits apart from less work. Anyone's capable of doing the full IB, just complete it, get your diploma and you're good to go :) 

Anyway, if you're unsure of what to do, speak to your teachers and academic guidance counsellor at your school. But in my opinion, doing partial IB isn't worth it.

Edited by sodonewithib

Neither partial nor full IB is worth to do. So No. Study A level - it is a priority in the Universities and you ONLY need to study 3 courses with no internal assessments. (Such an exemplary comment to make about IB in the IBSurvival :D

Edited by Amina13

• 4 weeks later...

I graduated from full IB, yet I pushed both my sisters to apply to AP so I'm familiar with both systems as well as pre-IB and pre-AP programs in Canada.

Tbh Grade 9 is a bit early to decide what you wanna do and you could easily change your mind (I though I would go into business, then completely changed my path). In this case, you should probably keep a lot of options open.

AP offers a lot more flexibility, which I wish I had. Partial IB is flexible too, but is largely determinant on what your school offers in terms of HL or SL. Full IB is very rigid, a lot of work, yet probably prepares you best for university because you would get a lot of transfer credits and already know how to manage your time effectively. 

If you are looking at teaching, the best education programs in Canada are not competitive, with maybe a low 90s or high 80s admission average, and you can even get into some with low 80s. They do not care if you have AP, IB or regular courses, and in many cases extra-curriculars don't matter either. 

• 1 month later...

Here's how my IB coordinator put it: Taking AP is like going to the cafeteria and having an expansive buffet of food options to choose from.  Taking IB is like having a pre-set menu at a fancy dinner where you can pick from a more select group of options.  

My school has both AP and IB and there's a HUGE divide between the two groups (and don't even get me started on couples where there's one person in AP and the other in IB...  It's like Romeo and Juliet all over again!).  I am a full DP student and have taken a few APs as well and I feel that, because of the IB Core (TOK, CAS, EE), unis like to see that more than they like to see just a few APs.  But honestly, choose the classes that you find most interesting (look at syllabi) and see which ones you like the best; AP and IB are similar in that they prepare you for college, but check with each one's policies too.