Is the math hard enough for an IA?

IndigoSkies

Hello, my IA is due very soon and I couldn't figure out another topic because I dedicated all my research towards one thing and could only find time to tweak it a little. So I want to know if the math level is difficult enough or how can I make it difficult enough for the criterion.

My topic right now is finding out when a total solar eclipse can occur on Mars because the orbit of one of it's moons is decreasing and that increases it's apparent size in the sky so it can eventually cover the sun. To tackle my topic i had to find the distance of Mars from the Sun at one of the latest recorded eclipse (august 2013) and i decided to graph distance of Mars from the sun in reference to it's angle from the perihelion (closest distance to sun) to find out the distance at that point; which appears to be a parabolic function.  Then using that data I can find the apparent sizes of the sun and the moon of Mars with small angle formula. with the size of the sun and moon, all I have left to do its find out how close the the moon has to get and how long it willl take to reach that distance with some simply ratios.

How do I add more relevant math????

If this is all correct, you do not need more math. Once you've discovered the process for finding a solar eclipse, discuss the importance of this. You should focus on the Personal Engagement and Critical Reflection criteria since it appears that you've done well enough for the Mathematical Understanding component (assuming all your work is correct and well explained). 

Think of the following questions: How long does a solar eclipse last? If there was a colony of Mars running on solar power, how much of a disruption would this cause? Ponder some negative effects related to solar eclipses and find some potential solutions. 

• Like 1

• 4 years later...