Improving French and Math

StoneCauldron

So I've recently gotten my report cards back, and I'm doing well in all of the subjects except for French SL and Math HL. In Math HL we are learning Pre-Calculus 12, but the teacher goes much deeper than that therefore the Pre-Cal 12 workbook provided doesn't offer sufficient exercises. I feel that some mathematical concepts are not explained clear enough. In French SL, my writing is full of grammar, spelling, and punctuation errors. What are some of the ways I could improve French and Math? Thanks :)

Although I have taken French B SL, I cannot offer much advice. I can only suggest that you make reading or listening or speaking french a regular part of your week, even day. 

Now the way I was taught Math HL was partly through extensive examples. If it's possible, you could suggest to your teacher to do similar and provide actual exam questions as a part of your homework. It seem that a questionbank (some collection of 7-8 past papers) may be worth while and that you could split the license with some others. I heard @tlr5J11 was looking someone to share the license with. However, do note in my school, all in-class test questions were prepared by our 3 HL teachers fresh before each test so they had no fear of giving us all the IB questions from past 6-8 years in addition to questions from the textbook. It may work differently at your school; just be aware of a potential difference. 

• Like 1

@kw0573 Thank you for your advice :) the thing is, the tests my teacher comes up with are made by himself and I don't really know how it compares to past papers since past papers contain Calculus concepts that we haven't covered yet. So I'm not sure how it will help in regards to his class. I found plenty of math HL past papers online though, so I guess I'll take a look at it and see if there are any that I can solve with just Pre-Cal 12 knowledge. 

There are 6 major units in IB Math HL: algebra, functions, trig, vectors, stats/probability, calculus. Most part A questions in both paper 1 and 2 do not mix these six topics together. As I said, we solved past exam questions as part of homework in addition to textbook problems so it's never too early to start doing past papers!  Definitely look over questions that pertain to your current coursework. 

My teacher provided us questions from a mixture of textbooks/IB books as daily worksheets. Primarily only in year 1 we used our official textbooks, which were McGraw Hill's Algebra and Geometry, Finite Mathematics, and Calculus: A First Course by James Stewart (published in the 80s-90s). I am not sure which province you are from, but in Ontario we had to learn some extra content for the provincial credit not found in IB. So we did much of algebra/functions/trig in semester 1 of year 1; vectors, probability, and remaining of algebra + a bit of extra content by semester 2. In year 2 we started with 2 months of stats and spent remaining time up to exams learning calculus and our option. 

I don't know exactly what count as pre-calculus in your school, yet certainly it sounds like your class is making good progress.