Predicted grades? Applying to medicine in the UK

Nemo

Hi guys, I was wondering about one thing: The deadline for applying to medicine in UK (which is btw what I want to do, yep, another one ;) ) is in October, right? Okay, so, basically this means that we have one year (the whole IB1) + a little tiny bit of IB2 to work through and to get our predicted grades that we apply with. In my school the school year is divided up into 2 semesters (first semester is from the start until the middle of January, and the second semester is from the middle of January until the middle of June), and we get our grades (not predicted grades, they are just an indication of the level we currently are at) at the end of each semester. Is there then a chance that I will be able to boost my predicted grades from the first semester and thus I'll be able to apply with higher predicted grades? If for example, I have now a 6 in HL chemistry (but getting a 7 is almost my ultimate dream, haha), and then I work work work work work (whaddup Rihanna song reference :D;) ), will I be able to be predicted a 7 by October of IB2 when it's time to apply?  

Thanks a lot for your replies

It really depends on your teacher. From how you described about predicted grades being given at the end of each semester though, it definitely should be possible, so long as your teacher isn't too pessimistic. Usually a performance averaging in the high 6s and low 7s throughout Semester 2 should put you in decent stead to be predicted a 7 overall. Imo, studying the physical chemistry topics ie. Energetics, Kinetics, Equilibrium are much easier compared to Topics 1-4, and might make it easier for you to perform better (assuming those will be some of the topics you will be taught in Semester 2). That said, everyone has different preferences. 

In addition to working much harder, I suggest you also ask your teacher about what is expected of you from her in order to to be predicted a 7. I never did so for Chemistry, but in other subjects, it has helped me better understand my weaknesses and areas for improvement in getting predicted a higher mark. For example, my Maths teacher informed me that to be predicted a 7, I would have to achieve a 7 on my recent November mock exam. 

Edited by IB`ez
  • Like 1