BIRKBECK UNI?

Karolina.jj

Hi! I was wondering does anyone have any experience or reviews about Birkbeck university in London? Because I really want to try out the undergraduate course BA honours for Film and Media, full-time, but I'm not sure whether it's really that good... I read many positive reviews about business and english related courses, but nothing about film. So if you know anything let me know! :D 

Hey, pal

I am on my 2nd year of the IB (yeah I am on that phase of rushing to put an end to all IAs, EE and Tok bull****) and we have something  in common: the desire to study Film.

Film is a very important area of the arts and, unlike what everyone says, it is not "for everyone". In fact, I would say it requires great ecocentrism and creativity if you really want to stand out. Just to say that what I am going to tell you next, obviously just an advice, isn't because I find it lame or a puny degree.

I would advise you not to take it as a degree now, specially in the UK. There is nothing wrong with the UK, but the real "solace" of the eccentric minds of film is in the US. Excelling in Film is already hard, which makes it very important to take the right "steps". At first, I did not understand this, well, I did but I thought it was a fatalist bs that all other guys say because they fear cinema won't give you a job. Its not that. Look at my example. I consider myself a creative person, with aesthetic sensibility and basically every of my colleagues was telling me "oh dude you must go to some artsy degree". Well, and I am (kinda). I love writing and Literature and it has always been my main interest. It does not provide many employment either, does it? Well, what I am doing is taking a prestigious literature degree in the UK in which I hope to get good grades and ingratiate with the lecturers in the UK and then depart to the US to take an MA on Film.

But we are all different, I am just recounting my experience because I also wanted to take Film, but try to grasp that you can indeed maximize the chances of not only being successful in Film or in any area related to visual arts (Media, in your case), but also of you being happy and satisfied with the choices you made.

Cheers, pal. Hope I helped     

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Richard Stifler said:

Hey, pal

I am on my 2nd year of the IB (yeah I am on that phase of rushing to put an end to all IAs, EE and Tok bull****) and we have something  in common: the desire to study Film.

Film is a very important area of the arts and, unlike what everyone says, it is not "for everyone". In fact, I would say it requires great ecocentrism and creativity if you really want to stand out. Just to say that what I am going to tell you next, obviously just an advice, isn't because I find it lame or a puny degree.

I would advise you not to take it as a degree now, specially in the UK. There is nothing wrong with the UK, but the real "solace" of the eccentric minds of film is in the US. Excelling in Film is already hard, which makes it very important to take the right "steps". At first, I did not understand this, well, I did but I thought it was a fatalist bs that all other guys say because they fear cinema won't give you a job. Its not that. Look at my example. I consider myself a creative person, with aesthetic sensibility and basically every of my colleagues was telling me "oh dude you must go to some artsy degree". Well, and I am (kinda). I love writing and Literature and it has always been my main interest. It does not provide many employment either, does it? Well, what I am doing is taking a prestigious literature degree in the UK in which I hope to get good grades and ingratiate with the lecturers in the UK and then depart to the US to take an MA on Film.

But we are all different, I am just recounting my experience because I also wanted to take Film, but try to grasp that you can indeed maximize the chances of not only being successful in Film or in any area related to visual arts (Media, in your case), but also of you being happy and satisfied with the choices you made.

Cheers, pal. Hope I helped     

Thank you, it made me look at the Film production courses from a slightly different perspective and I'll take it into consideration :). Good luck with the IB btw, 2nd year is the most stressfull if you ask me. Also I hope your uni plans work out like you want!