Need help connecting Math IA to syllabus

Smyu03

For my SL Math IA, I decided to do something relating to Volleyball which is a sport that I play. My idea is to find the optimal timing when approaching for a spike so that contact is at the best point possible. I did this by filming my friend setting the ball multiple times, plotting and graphing the flight path of the ball, and finding the x value of the ball when it is at a height that is optimal for hitting (average heights, wingspans, jumping height, etc). I would then go back to the video and see approximately how long in seconds it takes, and find the average time for an approach, and find the optimal time for the approach.

This topic has a lot of opportunity for application and personal engagement, but I'm having issues connecting it to the math syllabus. I'm worried the math is too simple and won't get me full marks in Criterion E. 

How can I make the math more advanced? I thought using calculus would be appropriate but I am not sure how to incorporate it. 

Thanks in advance for your help :)