IOP practice Help Please!

Violet7599

Well, technically speaking, any work can be considered a commentary on an issue in society if you look enough. We studied The Crucible alongside 'The Island' by Athol Fugard when we were doing our Paper 2 texts, and they allow for some good comparison, if you're looking for another dramatic text. Do you want anything in particular or...?

I'd definitely recommend The Island then - it's only got four scenes in it, which are significantly shorter than The Crucible's. I'd also suggest Ayn Rand's 'Anthem' which is a novella. We studied some of Katherine Mansfield's short stories for our IOP (though I don't think anyone chose that option). Also, whilst it's a bit longer I personally enjoyed The Great Gatsby. However, I know that many teachers use it for IOC (as ours did) so it may not be an option if it's being used in another internal.

Hope this helped a tad and good luck :)

Edited by Guest

Can you do short stories? Here are some that talk about issues/tendencies in society:

1. The Pedestrian by Ray Bradbury. It discusses the possible impacts of a society that becomes reliant of technology

2. The Lottery by Shirley Jackson. It discusses the possibility of following tradition blindly.

3. A Dark Brown Dog by Stephan Crane. My memory is a bit hazy on this one but I remember it discussing the cycle of abuse.

It's not a bad idea to do a practice IOP on something you could also potentially do a written assignment on. Our whole class did their prac IOP on Perfume and it's totally a viable option for written assignments. That way you cut out work for yourself and don't study more books than you need to ;) 

In terms of actually doing the IOP,  I highly recommend doing something a bit 'interesting' and interactive. In my experience (for both my practice IOP and actual IOP I achieved top boundary marks) you will be very well rewarded for having a quirky element to do. For example, act in character as the author of the book giving a book interview (even get classmates to read out lines) or pretend to be a character from the book. If acting isn't your style that's fine too of course, but I found by acting (dressing up, accent, displaying characteristics etc) I made the IOP much more bearable, and even fun and more importantly I was rewarded for it marks wise. Good luck!