What Math skills should I focus on if I want to join IB?

cynthesus

This is my first post on the forums, so I'm not too familiar with how its supposed to work, and if anyone will see this at all, but I was wondering what math skills I should focus on/study if I were to go into IB next year (im in grade eight). I'm thinking about preparing a bit in advance, and our school does have a summer school for preparation but my friend is in grade nine right now, and really struggling even after having taken the summer course (and she's a pretty good student too). If anyone could give me any math tips and study material, or just studying tips in general for next year, that would be great.

IB requires both solving hard problems and solve them fast. Math contests are a great way to be exposed to creative problem solving, but are not necessarily good for preparing any actual IB exams (4?) years from now. It's not just a matter of learning new content in advance, but getting used to solving problems both as correct and as fast as possible. Entering a new course is all about rapidly finding the proper study techniques suitable for you. 

• 8 months later...
Guest TheMagical7

Year 8 is so early! Year 9 is so early! I'm doing IB1 in Year 11 like other students of my school. 6 subjects is no joke, and to do them exams at the age of 14, against 17/18 year olds would be brutal I'm sure.

[edit: oh i just realised u probably meant myp not ibdp xd] 

Search up "massive ib textbook 150+ database reddit" and get the haese textbook. We use Haese in HL because it's great for self studying.  

Edited by TheMagical7