Math Ia topic- similar to example

orangetardish

Hi all, 

I just completed the first draft of my math ia, only to find out there is a sample online with almost the exact same topic. Scratch that, it's exactly the same topic! The exploration centred around integration, and I used different methods, but they are still worryingly similar. I am absolutely devastated. I spent hours coming up with a specific topic that was personally engaging and now I find out there is another identical in aim and topic. I'm worrying like crazy :( . I don't know what to do. The topic is super specific, so I'm really worried that I'll be accused of plagiarism... what do you guys recommend? Will this be an issue when it gets marked? I really really don't want to change my topic, but if I have to...

I'm literally kicking myself right now :( this is so frustrating I don't even know how this could happen. 

You should reference the IA you found and justify why your work is an improvement. For example, if you have shown more complex or thoughtful reasoning, you can include those. You should also attempt to introduce different math that the previous author failed to mention, or to generalize or narrow down the conclusions. How are these different methods compare? What are some advantages or disadvantages to each method? What you encountered is what many researchers face every day: how to evaluate others' work and build upon them.