Is this normal?

Nintendogslover123

In our county, they only offer IB-MYP. Only 60 some 5th graders tried out and most got in. We don't get to choose any of our classes, we have every class every day, we have 2 2 inch binders plus some folders to carry to every class, we walk in lines, and the programme is not challenging other than a few assignments. Everyone else on this forum is taking Mandarin or Chinese or something but they only offer Spanish. I would love to take the IB diploma programme when I'm older but we don't offer it. I have never heard of exams, extended essays, or anything of that sort before. We have 2 governor's schools that I'm considering going to instead of finishing IB MYP. Please help!

I never did the MYP program, but your school sounds pretty normal to me. I had little to no choice in classes until I got to high-school, and even then didn't really have complete freedom until grade 11. Spanish is very normal, I took it in middle school and then in our Pre-IB program (I've taken Spanish for seven years now) before I took it in IB. My high school only offered Spanish and French for IB classes but now this year to offer Mandarin too. And I remember walking in lines in fifth grade, but don't worry, it didn't scar me for life. Exams, the EE, CAS, etc. all are part of the IB DP but you shouldn't worry about that. If a school in your proximity doesn't offer the DP, then it's disappointing that you don't have that option but doing the IB DP isn't the end all, be all of life. If there's anything I didn't answer, please feel free to ask more. Regards.