Do you have to come up with something new for your EE?

Hello guys!

So I'm low-key stressing out right now because they want us to have a couple of ideas for our extended essay after the holidays. I've been thinking a bit about doing it on English. The problem is that the books I would want to do it on (Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass) are REALLY famous. Hence, I suspect that I wouldn't be able to come up with anything new and unique about them. Personally, I wouldn't mind, but I wanted to ask you guys if this is a bad idea. Would I get marked down if the entire essay consisted exploring different interpretations of the books (which aren't my own) but citing them etc. etc. (I.e. would my EE be viewed negatively if I didn't explicitly come up with anything in it).

Cheers for any responses!

xx Alex 

EE is not a creative paper, but an analytical paper. You are graded on your skills to define questions, gather data, evaluate perspectives and draw conclusions. You are not asked to take an entirely new stance. A very-well formulated research process on a fairly known viewpoint will score higher than an entirely original paper that is completely ill-supported and without evidence. 

• Like 1