Register now for biology study groups

Lorenzorota

Hey guys,

As is stated in the title, anyone who is taking Biology SL or HL (both DP1/ year 1and DP2/ year 2) can register to be part of a personalized study group. This group consists of fellow IB students from a nearby timezone. You will be allocated on behalf of your topic understandings and confidence level. We will try to keep HL and SL students separated due to the extra topics that are covered at higher level but we would like to know if you want first year and second year students to be mixed.

Here is the registration form for the first session (january until february). https://goo.gl/forms/LJX4uRmI5KFDF2k83

• Like 1

This looks really interesting.

However, I can't help but feel a little unsure with how the study group will proceed.

If you could provide details as to how the study group will work, I'm sure there will be much greater interest – and I know I'd be eager to join. 

For starters, how big will each study group be? What will be the focus? Having been in a lot of study groups back at school, I'd say organisation is very key to a successful study group – otherwise, it's really just not effective other than someone asking the odd question and someone answering.

Out of curiosity, are you also a May 2017 candidate (based on your exam date)?

On 12/24/2016 at 5:52 PM, IB`ez said:

This looks really interesting.

However, I can't help but feel a little unsure with how the study group will proceed.

If you could provide details as to how the study group will work, I'm sure there will be much greater interest – and I know I'd be eager to join. 

For starters, how big will each study group be? What will be the focus? Having been in a lot of study groups back at school, I'd say organisation is very key to a successful study group – otherwise, it's really just not effective other than someone asking the odd question and someone answering.

Out of curiosity, are you also a May 2017 candidate (based on your exam date)?

Well essentially these study groups will be made up of 4-5 people on the basis of the topics you share in common. We will also take into account the confidence that each person has in their chosen topics and try to group people according to that. We also will also make sure that each member of the group is in a timezone of close proximity to yours so that you can be active at similar hours and days. It will be a challenge to group everyone in order to fulfil their desires to the fullest extent, but we will do our best in arranging people according to their interests.

The focus within the study group is to be determined by the participants in the group themselves. We offer this as a service to connect people, and we hope it will be utilised by everyone to improve their studying habits, have people they can support and be supported by and tutor each other in certain topics, or share useful examination tips. In short; you can study together (to some extent) and support each other in areas of IB biology.

I share similar concerns about the lacking organisation that is found in many groups and I therefore wish that people will take this as a serious opportunity to work with people around the world to maintain and improve motivation and success within the biology curriculum. One group representative from each group will be responsible to 'organise' their groups and to report any difficulties that arise within the group. I urge anyone who signed up and feels that they have been allocated inappropriately, to dispute the case with me so that we can rearrange this person into another group.

If you have any ideas on how to make this a more successful project, please send me a private message and we can talk about it :)

I'm glad to see that people are showing an interest in this.

PS: Yeah, I'm a May 2017 candidate.

Edited by Lorenzorota