Crows dropping nut

djoe9

parameters: a(x-b)^-c + d and think about what each of these parameters do (obviously d will giveyou a horizontal assymptote so think about what happens as height goes to infinity...number of drops goes to...0? it takes 0 times to open a nut from infinity height? hint hint, probably one :( ), c is your rate of fall so play around with that, a softens the curvatue of your drop, kinda like c, and b is a shift...again think about what your minimum x value should be.

Could you define a b c and d for me please I am a little confused as to how to actually get these numbers so I can move forward

• 2 weeks later...
My teacher gave me a score of 18 w/ a plus or minus 1 prediction. I don`t think you need to go into detail the physics of it, just stick to the portfolio math. One of the most useful things I found to do was to make predictions with my model to see if the GDC's or mine was more accurate.

Hi there. I am doing the same portfolio and I handed mine in last week... Would you be willing to share yours with me so I can see what caliber a score of 18 portfolio is? I am really hoping to do well on this portfolio and just want to review others so that I can see what kind of score I can expect for my portfolio. All of our schools IA grades and predicted grades are due this Friday. Thanks!!!

Edited by Mahuta
Quote tag fixed.

• 1 month later...
Try it on you GDC, whatever value you put for (a), the gradient is going to be equal to a. At least thats what I know.

And I think yuo mean intercept, not asymptote.

thanks! but what does the gradient (a) represent in the case of number of drops vs. height of drops?

Just going on the whole asymptote idea...if I have the minimum value for y, is that where the asymptote is?

I know that the number of drops can't be less than 1, so is the asymptote at 1? And if it's not, can anyone tell me how I can find the asymptote??

ETA: Also, is it possible to find out how closely a graph fits a set of points? Anybody know of a function on the calculator or software that would do this?

Edited by bkwmkiwi

ETA: Also, is it possible to find out how closely a graph fits a set of points? Anybody know of a function on the calculator or software that would do this?

i think what your looking for is the correlation coefficient aka R^2

except the only problem is i don't know how to find out its value for created functions either D: i can only get it if i use regressions which is kind of useless for this assignment, i asked my math teacher and he said that calculating it is incredibly difficult as it involves sum of squares or something like that

sorry ><;

oh and as for the asymptotes i'm just saying that there must be an asymptote at one however in order to make the graph to fit i am changing the value of d (i'm using a reciprocal function to model)

i guess you could find where the asymptotes are by looking at what parameters you are changing the the function that you are using...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well.. I'm working on trying to get a proper power function to work. (It's working.. ish.. just taking forever!!)

It asks us to find another function. So I'm assuming we can't use another, very similar power function? :) Would exponential be the next best option? Or is there some other equation.... I dunno..

If anyone can offer a suggestion, please do! (I have to turn this in on Wednesday :P)

Hey!

I'm kinda stressing over this portfolio. I graphed the data points already using Excel. I'm stuck how do I create an equation for the graph?. I know it resembles a reciprocal function. Do I do this by hand? Or do I use tecnology? I'm soo lost please anybody help!.

• 5 months later...

You start by using different regression models.

Try a number of regression models (that maybe obvious that does not fit the data). Ie... exponential?

Just say something like... ew... it looks worse than the one I've had.

Then say this is the best and blah blah blah.

Then you might go to the medium nuts part, and start to transform you regression model.

After that, you go to explain again. or you might just want to go over a shorter process like you did in the large nuts part.

Then it's the small nuts...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...