Sign in to follow this  

Who should write my reference?

Hi I need to ask teachers to write my references for the common app. But I'm unsure who should be my second evaluation teacher...

I can predict how the teachers will write my recommendations on a scale from 1 to 10 (10 being highest);

English A1 HL - 4
french B SL - 6
history HL - 9 (but my history teacher is also my counselor who already writes the counselor section of the application, so is it good to send in 2 evaluations from the same person?)
economics HL - 9 (he is my 1st evaluation teacher)
biology SL - 9
Maths SL - 6
TOK - 9

I am indicating that my current preferences in college are 1st economics, 2nd political sciences, 3rd acting

So which teachers would you ask if you were in my situation? Teachers relating to my subjects interested or teachers who would simply write the best reference?

Thanks a lot!

Teachers that teach you in subjects related to what you're applying to, for sure.

I got lucky since I applied to pre-med and my favourite teacher was my biology teacher, who loved me, and he also happened to be the head of the science department at my HS..so he had some extra "credentials".

I talked to an admissions officer at Boston University and he said that it's better to get a reference from a teacher who knows you the best how you are in class (i interpret that as submitting the best reference).... can I trust him? :dash:

Do you think this would apply to all US unis?

[quote name='Mark' post='28610' date='Nov 18 2008, 12:19 PM']I talked to an admissions officer at Boston University and he said that it's better to get a reference from a teacher who knows you the best how you are in class (i interpret that as submitting the best reference).... can I trust him? :dash:

Do you think this would apply to all US unis?[/quote]

that is what i had always heared mark. US unis want to see who you are, and someone who knows you better can write a better recommendation. __inthemaking is alos write about you wanting to try to get it from someone in the fiels that you are interested in applying too.

right I see. So there are advantages in both, right? So it doesnt matter if I get a super reference from my bio teacher or an okay reference from my math teacher if i indicate that i wana do economics, right?