Are these subjects good for my career prospects?

notstudious

Hi there,

I'll be starting the IB pretty soon and would like a little heads up on my subject combination. So far, I have decided on:

Chemistry HL

Mathematics HL

Economics HL

Lang and Lit SL

Chinese B SL

History SL

I would like to take computer science as a degree in a uni but am relatively unsure in swapping out chemistry for computer science because it's something I haven't really done before and chemistry is pretty much of a core science. After some thorough searching, most courses I'm going after in university level don't really require chemistry but it might still be a bonus? I dunno. And would History SL be ok or should I swap it out for Physics SL? I think physics would be much more related to my preferred course of study but I do love history (that's why I put it in). I heard from someone that mugging for history SL is pretty much the same as mugging for history HL. Is that true? 

Thanks for reading through all these!

Hey! For computer science you definitely need HL maths but depending on where you want to study I think that physics would be a better choice than History. I don't take history myself but all of my friends who take it/took it say that it's fairly pointless taking SL history (as it's basically as hard as HL but apparently more difficult to get a 7 in (logic?)). 

On the other hand, if history is something that you are very passionate about I don't want to discourage you from taking that either :) 

I do History SL and whilst it's definitely harder than English Lit SL, I wouldn't say it's substantially so! we do do basically the same stuff as History HL minus one or two topics, but I haven't found it too hard, honestly. just make sure you take good notes for revision because you go over a lot of topics, and it's easy to find at the end of the term that you've forgotten everything. and it certainly helps if you love the subject - I only took it bc I needed a group 3 and I'm doing ok :>

On 1/5/2017 at 8:39 AM, notstudious said:

I would like to take computer science as a degree in a uni but am relatively unsure in swapping out chemistry for computer science because it's something I haven't really done before

Don't you think it'd be a pretty good idea to check if you actually enjoy computer science before you commit to a degree in it?