Dropping Out of IB?

LIZ_2020

Looking back at my IB years, I really wish I dropped to certificate or transferred to the AP school. It wasn't because of grades or bad teachers, but because I realised that my post-secondary pathway didn't align well with the IB program offered at my high school. I think my school had a very 'pre-med' and humanities focused program, but did not offer a strong background for engineering. There was no subject choice other than choosing HL History or online Econ/Psych/ITGS (lotsa $$$) for Group 3, whereas AP and the provincial system offered loads of choices and electives.

I still got into my dream school, but SL Math and non-IB summer school physics were a huge obstacle in first term. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LIZ_2020 said:

So I've been thinking about dropping out of IB, but I'm not sure if I want. If you regret your mistake can you enroll again or can you just not do IB anymore? Can someone please answer.

Coming back into IB just a decision made by school, not by IB. 

Along the lines of how IB is implemented at your school, if there have been traditionally lots of 6s and 7s then you should stay because it is a rewarding program and improves your work/study habits. Theoretically, IB is not there to weed out the weaker students but to illustrate our weaknesses and help us grow. 

I am not sure what you are referring to by "mistake". Certainly because education varies by state, you should talk to an academic adviser / counselor to consider benefits and drawbacks in each of IB and all alternative paths. Deliberate now to avoid regrets.  

• Like 1

I think there's nothing wrong with dropping out of the IB. Although the IB is not standardized like a lot of learning systems, it's still somewhat similar. It is also not only a college-level course, but it adds a ton of requirements (EE, TOK, IA's, CAS) that might help prepare for university better, but that you might be better prepared to deal with later. Also, some colleges are unfamiliar with the IB and sometimes ask for an incredibly high grade (38 and up), which isn't comparative with what they expect from AP students or the like. It all boils down to the university you want to attend. If it increases your chances of entering, then I would strongly consider it. But if you think you'll get low marks on it and it will negatively influence your emotional and mental then definitely don't. 

Honestly think about how you would fare in this program and how it could affect you and then make a decision, there is no wrong one.