- Fishing Rods Type 2

achiever123

To find the quadratic function, you can simply type in the values of the fishing rod into a graphing calculator (which I am assuming you have!) into the table and hit the quadratic function button and it will give you the equation! The same goes for the cubic function, you just have to hit the cubic function button!

I try to do it your way but it doesn't work. It only let me enter X values, not Y values in the table. Can you help me?

I try to do it your way but it doesn't work. It only let me enter X values, not Y values in the table. Can you help me?

Being honest, I wouldn't use your calculator as it's a smart plan to plot the graphs of the functions and include them in your coursework. :D

Just enter in the points on Microsoft Excel or something and have it make a graph for you. Much easier too :)

I'm actually not sure how you'd get your calculator to do that, in any case!

Similarly, for working it all out (ie the equation you're after), it's perhaps easier to do it using matrices, rather than your calculator, as you can show all the steps of your working out. I recommend using www.bluebit.gr/matrix-calculator, as you can easily include print-outs from it to show your working and hit all the coursework marks.

Good luck!

Edited by Sandwich

I recommend using www.bluebit.gr/matrix-calculator, as you can easily include print-outs from it to show your working and hit all the coursework marks.

Good luck!

You have to include that in order to get full marks?

hi, could someone please help me:

the table only gives data up to the 8th guide, so doesnt that mean I can only work out 8 equations? I can use matrices to find a,b,c,d,e,f,g, which is only a function of x^7. How do I work out functions x^8 and even x^9?

Secondly, why is it that i shouldnt be plotting (0,0) as a part of the model? should it only be a constraint/limitation for me to talk about? Or should I make a hybrid function: as in, a function for (0,0) to (1,10), and then a suitable model from the 1st guide onwards?

Someone please help asap, it would be greatly appreciated!

Why would you work out a function to x^8 or x^9?

There seems to be some confusion as to whether or not (0,0) should be plotted. According to OCC (IB teachers' forum) sources, choosing to abstain from plotting (0,0) is not incorrect, so I would rather suggest that in analyzing your models, you mention how well it fits with the fact that the guide starts at (0,0).

Why would you work out a function to x^8 or x^9?

There seems to be some confusion as to whether or not (0,0) should be plotted. According to OCC (IB teachers' forum) sources, choosing to abstain from plotting (0,0) is not incorrect, so I would rather suggest that in analyzing your models, you mention how well it fits with the fact that the guide starts at (0,0).

thanks for your help deissi.

I'm just wondering, for the parameters which I should discuss, am i talking about the a,b,c,d etc, the coefficients of x which will vary for different functions; OR, am i talking about the range and domain of my model?

secondly, what should I be talking about in my Introduction?

Thanks in advance!

• 2 weeks later...

can someone help me out with the "define suitable variables, discuss parameters/constraints" part? I've been reading through this whole thread and my teacher tried using matrices, but after looking back on his work for his example (not the real thing), I could resolve the problem and get the same answer, making me very wary of my own work so far.

He used these three points: (-4, 0), (-1, 4), (1, 9)

and then used the formula ax^2 + bx + c =y

then he made the multiple equations:

16a - 4b + c =0

a - b + c =4

a + b + c =9

Then he put them in matrices

|16 -4 1| |a| |0|

|1 -1 1 | |b| = |4|

|1 1 1 | |c| |9|

then he solved for a, b, and c, using wat I'm guessing as taking the inverse of the 3 x 3 matrix and mutiplying it to the 3 x 1 matrix, but I'm not sure.

He then gets |2 | as his a,b,c matrix and plugs it back in his equation to the equation y=2x^2 - 2x + 1

|-2|

|1 |

but when I tried that I got my abc matrix to be |7/30 |

|5/2 |

|94/15|

can someone help me out and tell me how I messed up. The sooner you post, the better. I need the help asap!

ok, I managed to figure out that my teacher used that answer off the top of his head as an example, but not caculated from his example, so I was doing my work alright anyway. but now I'm stuck on the polynomial part (I tried looking through the whole thread, but it still didn't help me). I've already tried using a 7th-order (7th-order meaning ax^7+bx^6 and so on) equation but it didn't hit all the points. Then I tried using the initial guide at the tip of the rod to make it a 8th-order equation, using the point (0,0) for it, but that ended up with a errror singular mat., meaning the determinate was zero, so no answer could show up. I'm stuck at this point and I really need help asap!!! somone please find it in their heart to respond a.s.a.p.

• 1 month later...