Need Math IA about e(constant) help

Andydovt

I chose to demistify the number e for my math IA. What I have so far is how we came up with e throught solving continuous compound and calculus. I'm also planning on putting in some explanations why e exists in some important formulas. I was wondering if there is anything else I should add? So far I have only explained how we created e, I haven't done much on going calculations of my own. Regarding this topic, is there anything I can calculate? What other reflection, analysis should I do on this project? Thank you.

In HL IA, you need to touch upon a wide variety of math. For example, it cannot be all limits, or all complex numbers or all exponential growth/decay. You should try to clearly illustrate some connections (beyond just having e in common) between seemingly unconnected usages. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, kw0573 said:

In HL IA, you need to touch upon a wide variety of math. For example, it cannot be all limits, or all complex numbers or all exponential growth/decay. You should try to clearly illustrate some connections (beyond just having e in common) between seemingly unconnected usages. 

I'm doing both limit and and exponential growth. I will analize how e is created and exists in those fields. I'm also thinking about trying to explain why e is a part of the normal distribution density funtion. Do you think that would be enough?

1 minute ago, Andydovt said:

I'm doing both limit and and exponential growth. I will analize how e is created and exists in those fields. I'm also thinking about trying to explain why e is a part of the normal distribution density funtion. Do you think that would be enough?

What I was saying you should find some presence of e where you can use e to explain the connection between those 2 pieces of math. You should decide for yourself if you have best represented your math ability in the paper. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, kw0573 said:

What I was saying you should find some presence of e where you can use e to explain the connection between those 2 pieces of math. You should decide for yourself if you have best represented your math ability in the paper. 

Perfect. Got it! Thanks for helping!

• 6 years later...
On 1/12/2017 at 11:50 PM, kw0573 said:

Do you know how I can connect the usage of "e" in these two different areas? I am writing my math IA about "why does "e" occur in so many different context?" and I can't find enough sources to answer this question.