Concentrating when there is background noise!!!

dreamyslife

Hi!

So....the problem with me is that I can never concentrate when there is any background noise while I am studying. Point is that I can't concentrate when there for instance are people talking while I am working with school work, both at class and at home. I need it to be totally quiet when I am working too, which leads to me almost never being able to study for exactly this reason. I was therefore wondering if any of you guys had any tips for me regarding this exact issue? Or if any of you could share exactly how you work when there are several distractions and you guys need to study? And no- for me neither music nor white noise works either when I am trying to study. Would appreciate any help ;)

I had exactly the same issue! There are two ways of tacking it, for me 2) was way more effective - though you might not like it. 

1) Write whatever is on your mind before you study. (Possibly better when studying at home)

I truly mean everything. It can be this random thought you had about the youtube video your friend showed you, or the existential question that keeps you awake at night. Key point here is to make your mind as clear as possible - get rid of those thoughts to make some space for focus. ;) Then, make some breathing exercises (inhale through your nose, exhale through your mouth) for a minute or two. This should help you get rid of the associated stress that you have with background noise and should help you focus on the task.

2) Train yourself.

This one might sound borderline ridiculous and inefficient, but hear me out. When you're doing some work, turn on some music that you dislike a lot. It can be a genre of music you are not into, or a particular singer - whatever floats your boat. Since you're not going to be enjoying the music, you will make an effort to ignore it. This might take a while & totally mess up your Spotify "recently listened" playlist, but it should work very well. Then, as you see that you able to focus more with the music on, try lowering the volume or switching to something else, like classical music. 

I am not saying this is a guaranteed guide on how to start focusing, this is really something I have used in the past to help me with studying. And I have to say it worked out well for me, I am now able to study in loud environments without getting distracted (PUT THAT PHONE AWAAAY).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mac117 said:

I had exactly the same issue! There are two ways of tacking it, for me 2) was way effective - though you might not like it. 

1) Write whatever is on your mind before you study. (Possibly better when studying at home)

I truly mean everything. It can be this random thought you had about the youtube video your friend showed you, or the existential question that keeps you awake at night. Key point here is to make your mind as clear as possible - get rid of those thoughts to make some space for focus. ;) Then, make some breathing exercises (inhale through your nose, exhale through your mouth) for a minute or two. This should help you get rid of the associated stress that you have with background noise and should help you focus on the task.

2) Train yourself.

This one might sound borderline ridiculous and inefficient, but hear me out. When you're doing some work, turn on some music that you dislike a lot. It can be a genre of music you are not into, or a particular singer - whatever floats your boat. Since you're not going to be enjoying the music, you will make an effort to ignore it. This might take a while & totally mess up your Spotify "recently listened" playlist, but it should work very well. Then, as you see that you able to focus more with the music on, try lowering the volume or switching to something else, like classical music. 

I am not saying this is a guaranteed guide on how to start focusing, this is really something I have used in the past to help me with studying. And I have to say it worked out well for me, I am now able to study in loud environments without getting distracted (PUT THAT PHONE AWAAAY).

Wow, I have never actually thought of these tips, will definitely be trying these out (especially as they are not traditional tips either)! Thank you so much, will definitely try this!

4 minutes ago, dreamyslife said:

Wow, I have never actually thought of these tips, will definitely be trying these out (especially as they are not traditional tips either)! Thank you so much, will definitely try this!

No problem, glad I could help!

• Like 1