Help With Extended Essay Research Question (Literature)

OhSam

Hey guys

If possible, could you please let me know if this is a good enough research question for an Extended Essay in Literature?

Research Question - How does Cormac McCarthy use the relationship of the man and his son to address themes of morality in his novel The Road?

I know there's a lot of meat when it comes to morality in this book, and the relationship of father and son seems to form the centrepiece of it. I'm just not 100% sure if this question will help me fulfil all the requirements for a literature EE. 

Thank you so much.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey,

Your current RQ beginner 'How' is a bit too closed ended at the moment - this might limit your interpretation of the novel because it tends to make you list the ways in which[...] rather than discussing or evaluating. EE markers look for personal interpretation as measures of sophistication, understanding and personal engagement so it might help if you change 'How' into 'In what ways, and for what purpose' or 'To what end'.

Also, 'themes of morality' seems a bit broad at the moment. You need to refine your RQ a bit more to encompass what you want to say specifically about your text. I haven't read the text, but from a quick skim of Wikipedia, a possible research question could discuss the boundaries of our moral standings, and their validity in the midst of extremities.

Here's something I vaguely remember reading about The Road and found on Google: http://ibcb.ca/ee/english/englishexemplar2.pdf

The RQ talks about 'common thematic concerns', which I admit may sound a bit vague, but I think its justified because the exemplar is conducting a comparative essay. 

• Like 1