Any way to get someone else grade my IA?

Rey

Hello everyone!

I know that our IAs are supposed to be corrected by our teachers and that not all of them get sent off to moderation. I have also heard, that even if you apply for the IBO to regrade your exams, they won't look at you IA again.

Now, this presents me with a problem in Physics, as, my teacher is... well. Not qualified to teach IB for several reasons. She doesn't understand some of syllabus, she barely speaks English, and she also happens to hate me for "being always late" which I actually am most of the time, because I noticed an inversely proportional correlation between my time spent in her classroom, and the grades I got on topic specific tests... The very same tests that she hasn't once managed to mark correctly since she started teaching my class. She would give us the markscheme afterwards, and there would be kids who wrote the things in it, word to word, and didn't get any points, and there would also be kids who wrote what was written in the rightmost column, marked as "do not accept", who would get full marks. And it would be mostly random too, it happened to me once that I wrote the literal same thing as my best friend (it was a quote from the book she always tells us to memorize parts from) and I got marks for it, while she didn't... Additional to this, she can't even add up the marks correctly.

So, I really don't trust her to mark my IA. Is there any way to get someone else to correct it? We don't have another Physics teacher at our school, and our Maths teacher, who started here just two months ago, is being trained by her, so having him look at it feels also pointless... 

Also, how many IAs get moderated each year? In a class of 10 SL students, and no HLs, how likely is that mine will be? Our year is the first one to have Physics in seven years, so I'm assuming that even if moderation is done bi-yearly or something, that at least a few of our IAs will be moderated.

There's very little others can do about your teacher, you can try talk to your coordinator. In class of 10 students, 5 will be chosen by IB for moderation. If after moderation the average of the 5 marks is 15% different than the pre-moderation average, then the coordinator can request a re-moderation. 

Haha, I read this in a Swedish accent just because I saw that you're from Sweden

Anyway. My math teacher helped me very little with my math IA, so I was sort of in the same situation as you are. One of my friends was also under the same circumstance, so we exchanged the IA and corrected each others according to the criteria which you can find online. That's my only suggestion, because there's otherwise not much you can do.

Well, knowing my classmates and the teacher, I'd be surprised if a sample of 5 wouldn't contain at least two IAs that didn't get really mixed up by her, so I guess that could help me out. Raising this with my coordinator is likely to be a bad idea, she seems to think that we all are conspiring against this one poor teacher... Like if it was two kids or even four, I'd understand it, but the fact that all ten of us unanimously complain about her should be a clue...

And yeah, the peer response thing is what I'm going to do, I'll have my friend and his dad (who's reputedly very clever) look at it. However, my main concern isn't that my IA is bad (I know it's complete trash, I'm just trying to pass this class) it's more that she's gonna mark it down cause she dislikes me and I didn't follow her advice. (Which was absolute rubbish)

Also, I might be living in Sweden, but I'm not Swedish😅 In fact, I'm so not Swedish that just hearing the word "sheep" makes me mad... 😂😂