IB Biology internal assessments

chileanbob

Hello all,

I just wanted to know how many lab reports does a normal IB Biology class turn into the IBO? So far, in my bio class, we've done one formal report. I know we're supposed to have like 40 hours of labs, I think. Of those 40, I think 10 are for the Group 4 Project?

Any and all help is welcomed.

Thanks.

Well, I'm in IB2 and so far we have 16 formal lab reports, as well as our Group 4. We're finished with all our lab hours now (I'm in SL Bio). I don't know exactly how many lab reports get sent in to the IB for moderation, but it sounds kind of weird that your school has had you do only do one lab report so far.

Well, I'm in IB2 and so far we have 16 formal lab reports, as well as our Group 4. We're finished with all our lab hours now (I'm in SL Bio). I don't know exactly how many lab reports get sent in to the IB for moderation, but it sounds kind of weird that your school has had you do only do one lab report so far.

No, I think it's normal. We have already done like 2 for Bio and 2 for Chem because in the beginning of IB1, they don't start with lab reports immediatly but starting from november he should be having labs regularly. Plus, they probably did a lab session on cells because there's not much in the chemistry of life apart from enzymes.

Not everyones labs go to the IB. According to my teacher the highest grade labs, the ones in the middle and the lowest.

But the labs that count for individual grades is two labs. But this system is confusing. It does not mean two entire labs. But two sections i.e. design, data processing and conclusion. So you could do 100 labs or 5 labs. But for each section i.e. design, data processing and conclusion, there will be two labs.

For example I do 20 labs for my entire IB curriculum. At the end I have to pick labs according to section. So lets say for design section I take the 2nd and 15th lab we did because I got full grades in the DESIGN section. Only the design section. I may have got 0 in the other sections.

But then for my data processing section I pick lets say, the 1st and 6th because I got full marks on the DATA PROCESSING Section. Again I may have 0 in design and concusion but that doesnt matter.

And the same thing for conclusion

• 2 weeks later...

yup... exactly... thats how it works for us... but you should talk to your teacher who will obviously clarify it better...

an there are two more sections... I cant remember them rite now... but one of them is graded depending on your group 4 and the other is on safety that your teacher grades... This is usually one grade and its added to the rest of your grade...

• 1 month later...
yup... exactly... thats how it works for us... but you should talk to your teacher who will obviously clarify it better...

an there are two more sections... I cant remember them rite now... but one of them is graded depending on your group 4 and the other is on safety that your teacher grades... This is usually one grade and its added to the rest of your grade...

that would be personal and manipulative skills..

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...