Low ib score but a really high SatK

Bigdogsbarkloudly

I would suggest he retake his IB exams as with a higher score, around 30 or so, he can get into top unis e.g. Boston Uni, Uni Michigan Ann Arbor, several of the Universities of California, University of Minnesota, NYU etc. Since most US applications are now closed for the fall of 2017 intake, he'll have the time to reapply for next year's intake. If he's looking for universities outside the US, the SAT would usually be recognised, but perhaps not regarded with the same value as in the US.

Alternatively, he can opt for SAT subject tests in subjects he's studied in the IB to demonstrate proficiency in them. Usually, a high SAT score but a low GPA/school grades tends to be interpreted as the student being smart, but lazy – not really someone they look for. If there were any special circumstances regarding why his score was low e.g. health issues he should explain definitely explain them as admission officers really consider that. 

24 minutes ago, IB`ez said:

I would suggest he retake his IB exams as with a higher score, around 30 or so, he can get into top unis e.g. Boston Uni, Uni Michigan Ann Arbor, several of the Universities of California, University of Minnesota, NYU etc. Since most US applications are now closed for the fall of 2017 intake, he'll have the time to reapply for next year's intake. If he's looking for universities outside the US, the SAT would usually be recognised, but perhaps not regarded with the same value as in the US.

Alternatively, he can opt for SAT subject tests in subjects he's studied in the IB to demonstrate proficiency in them. Usually, a high SAT score but a low GPA/school grades tends to be interpreted as the student being smart, but lazy – not really someone they look for. If there were any special circumstances regarding why his score was low e.g. health issues he should explain definitely explain them as admission officers really consider that. 

Thanks for the reply! I was talking to him earlier today when I posted this and also said to him that he SHOULD probably retake the exams and he said to me he really didn't want to due to the time consumption.. and all he said was he will just try applying to schools where the deadline hasnt closed yet. So I guess the question would be is it still possible to get into a "good" school disregarding those top unis that you mentioned? And how possible within some circumstances. So you would recommend that he takes subject tests for the subjects he took? (SL Maths, HL Geography, HL Chemistry, SL Physics) 

He was dealing with some issues at home during the IB (but that's all I know about it). He indeed seemed to be lazy when it came to school, but to be honest I've never seen him slack off when studying for SAT's, which is a bit weird but.. If you could reply so I can give my friend some advice that'll be great!

There are a lot of State schools that hasn't had their deadlines closed. With the IB Diploma and a 1450 SAT, your friend will have a really good chance at decent scholarships from these places. Universities like San Francisco State, SUNY (State University of New York) schools, or he can even go for more prestigious ones that are in Canada e.g. University of Manitoba, Simon Frasier University (not sure if this one's deadline is closed though, but it's a really good school).

I'd suggest he take 1-2 of either SAT Chemistry, SAT Physics, or SAT Maths I and/or II based on the subjects you mentioned. Tell him he doesn't have to study for them as long as he still remembers most of the content he prepared for his IB exams – a score of 600/800 or above is considered solid already, and will go a long way to make up for his more lacklustre performance on the IB exams. 

As for being lazy at school but preparing hard for SATs, I actually have a classmate who does the same. Literally does nothing at school but has a 1450 on SAT as well, and is aiming for a full 1600 now.

Also, keep in mind that all I've been mentioning are US/Canadian schools – there are tons more countries in this world with really good schools and your friend should try and do some research, or speak with his university counsellor (if he has one). 

Best of luck to him!

Edited by IB`ez

26 minutes ago, IB`ez said:

There are a lot of State schools that hasn't had their deadlines closed. With the IB Diploma and a 1450 SAT, your friend will have a really good chance at decent scholarships from these places. Universities like San Francisco State, SUNY (State University of New York) schools, or he can even go for more prestigious ones that are in Canada e.g. University of Manitoba, Simon Frasier University (not sure if this one's deadline is closed though, but it's a really good school).

I'd suggest he take 1-2 of either SAT Chemistry, SAT Physics, or SAT Maths I and/or II based on the subjects you mentioned. Tell him he doesn't have to study for them as long as he still remembers most of the content he prepared for his IB exams – a score of 600/800 or above is considered solid already, and will go a long way to make up for his more lacklustre performance on the IB exams. 

As for being lazy at school but preparing hard for SATs, I actually have a classmate who does the same. Literally does nothing at school but has a 1450 on SAT as well, and is aiming for a full 1600 now.

Also, keep in mind that all I've been mentioning are US/Canadian schools – there are tons more countries in this world with really good schools and your friend should try and do some research, or speak with his university counsellor (if he has one). 

Best of luck to him!

Is SAT held highly in Canada? And if he were looking at Canadian Unis, which ones should he be looking at? (as you seem very well versed in them ahaha). Also how is the application process? Similar to the common app? Do you really think the SAT subject tests will really be that helpful?  I asked him about how dead set he was on going to the US and he said he would prefer it over anywhere else, but he has an open mind about Canada as well. He then proceeded to probe me with questions like why am I so interested and nosy ahahaha so I told him I just wanted to help and he seemed genuinely thankful, and I am very grateful to you too ! 

I would like to hear your thoughts and probe you for your knowledge about this stuff :D 

You are a lot of help! Thank you! 

9 minutes ago, Bigdogsbarkloudly said:

Is SAT held highly in Canada? And if he were looking at Canadian Unis, which ones should he be looking at? (as you seem very well versed in them ahaha). Also how is the application process? Similar to the common app? Do you really think the SAT subject tests will really be that helpful?  I asked him about how dead set he was on going to the US and he said he would prefer it over anywhere else, but he has an open mind about Canada as well. He then proceeded to probe me with questions like why am I so interested and nosy ahahaha so I told him I just wanted to help and he seemed genuinely thankful, and I am very grateful to you too ! 

I would like to hear your thoughts and probe you for your knowledge about this stuff :D 

You are a lot of help! Thank you! 

SAT is not held as highly in Canada as in the US, and is never a requirement by any university. That said, if a student does offer it, they take it into deep consideration and if it's really good like your friend's, it's a major help. (also did some checking; Simon Fraser University's deadline is in Jan 31 so your friend has time to apply there if he starts his application ASAP – a week is enough time to complete it)

The application process will differ by university – as far as I know, most if not all Canadian universities don't use the Common App. However, it's not that hard and is still a pretty simple process.

SAT Subject Tests can really help, especially if your friend's IB scores aren't great. I mean, doesn't he want to get into good schools? If so, he should take this opportunity to demonstrate proficiency – it's not necessary to enter the aforementioned Canadian universities, but it can go a long way to net him scholarships if he's interested in them, considering his already really strong SAT scores. Getting high scores on tests like the IELTS or TOEFL is also pretty helpful though again, not a must. 

With a very solid SAT score but unfortunately subpar IB results, my personal opinion is that he should look for as many other opportunities to make up for it through external testing, which really does go a long way in strengthening his application. Also, it goes without saying that polishing his essays/personal statements is extremely important as well.

No problem – glad to help.

Edited by IB`ez

14 hours ago, IB`ez said:

SAT is not held as highly in Canada as in the US, and is never a requirement by any university. That said, if a student does offer it, they take it into deep consideration and if it's really good like your friend's, it's a major help. (also did some checking; Simon Fraser University's deadline is in Jan 31 so your friend has time to apply there if he starts his application ASAP – a week is enough time to complete it)

The application process will differ by university – as far as I know, most if not all Canadian universities don't use the Common App. However, it's not that hard and is still a pretty simple process.

SAT Subject Tests can really help, especially if your friend's IB scores aren't great. I mean, doesn't he want to get into good schools? If so, he should take this opportunity to demonstrate proficiency – it's not necessary to enter the aforementioned Canadian universities, but it can go a long way to net him scholarships if he's interested in them, considering his already really strong SAT scores. Getting high scores on tests like the IELTS or TOEFL is also pretty helpful though again, not a must. 

With a very solid SAT score but unfortunately subpar IB results, my personal opinion is that he should look for as many other opportunities to make up for it through external testing, which really does go a long way in strengthening his application. Also, it goes without saying that polishing his essays/personal statements is extremely important as well.

No problem – glad to help.

He said he will look into it as it seems like an interesting school! The only problem is for our school, everyone including staff is on break until January 31, so it may not be possible to get all of the information to them by a finalized deadline without being a bit late for the Jan 31st deadline. Any other good Universities in Canada? 

Also thats a good point about the external testing, I'll let him know. Thanks again! sorry for being a bother aha

Edited by Bigdogsbarkloudly

41 minutes ago, Bigdogsbarkloudly said:

He said he will look into it as it seems like an interesting school! The only problem is for our school, everyone including staff is on break until January 31, so it may not be possible to get all of the information to them by a finalized deadline without being a bit late for the Jan 31st deadline. Any other good Universities in Canada? 

Also thats a good point about the external testing, I'll let him know. Thanks again! sorry for being a bother aha

No one person can provide a summary for all Canadian schools. If we have confirmed that 1450/1600 is a fairly competitive score and that 24/42 is low, possibly below many minimum IB requirements, you can gather more information by looking through the USA & Canada sub-forum for a collection of many many users' input on their impression of the schools as well as admission requirements. Your friend should first identify specific programs (and/or majors) of interest, and the desired semester of entry. A lot of schools allow an application to be made by end of January / early February, allowing documentation to be completed at a late date, possibly March. For example Ontario (a province in Canada) universities can be applied from ouac.on.ca, from which I learned, by random, that McMasters Arts and Science program requires 3 in IB English and 3 in Math SL/HL. Your friend can go through the site, and similar sites, to learn about admission minimums of schools. 

IELTS or TOEFL were mentioned; they are not required for someone from a English-speaking school in a English-speaking country, whom of course is expected to ace either test. 

Considering that many Canadian universities are closing admissions within next two weeks, and that you have not made clear what major your friend is interested in, he should immediately narrow search with the major in mind and apply to 2 or 3 schools without a minimum total IB requirement. I do not believe that your friend has time to prepare for and take any additional SAT tests in time for September 2017 admissions in Canada. The fall back plan is to try his best (with or without retakes) to apply later with more carefully prepared applications not made in rush. 

• Like 1