Unsatisfacactory IOP grade

HKamal

Hey all,

I just got my IOP grade for English A SL. I got 22/30 a grade 6. I was told that the grade does not matter at this point, only the points since they are added to the IOC points next year to get a grade. I also understand that the IOP is 15% of the grade and the IOP together with the IOC is 30% (right?). Anyway I knew it would be hard to hit a 7 but I am not really satisfied with what I got, I was expecting more. Is a 7 still within reach for my final grade? Need some motivation, I feel like this is a bad grade. I haven't had literature before the IB and it took me up until now to get a feel for what a thesis means and some of the literary devices. I am a science student but don't want my IB score to fall because of one subject. What would be a good approach to ensure a high final grade in English. I mean in Math and Physics I would generally just practise and solve exercises but I am not sure about English.

p.s. I don't suppose it is possible to redo the IOP?

Thanks!

Who's to say practice doesn't work with English? I am sure that if you write a commentary/essay a week then you will see your writing improve. Saying you are a "science student" is just giving yourself excuses.
It's not possible to redo the IOP, unless your teacher gives everyone the chance to do so. Of course with only 15% of your final grade known, it is still mathematically very possible to score a 7. 

20 minutes ago, kw0573 said:

Who's to say practice doesn't work with English? I am sure that if you write a commentary/essay a week then you will see your writing improve. Saying you are a "science student" is just giving yourself excuses.
It's not possible to redo the IOP, unless your teacher gives everyone the chance to do so. Of course with only 15% of your final grade known, it is still mathematically very possible to score a 7. 

I guess I could write once a week, but it would have to be checked by my teacher. I'll see if I can make an arrangement with her. What else would you propose apart from writing?

22/30 isn't terrible at all! Your goal in aiming for a 7 should ideally be to maximise your IOC mark [26/27] and your Written Assignment mark [21/22]
You could benefit from spending a lot of your time on the IOC, rigorously preparing each excerpt. You also want to make sure you are diligent with your WA. These are very controllable assessments and you should maximise your opportunity. 

After all that is said and done, it becomes beneficial to start doing practice commentaries [paper 1] and compare/contrast essays [paper 2] about five to six months out from your final exams. But for now, you should move on from IOP and start looking at ways to work on the other very controllable portions of the course. 

• Like 1