Preparation for first year HL Math.

Saguaro

Hi guys,

Im currently living in Slovakia where we have a slightly different education system to the one in England, specifically we go to school later than kids in England and so finish school much older. I am 15 now and in MYP 3, next year we are moving to England and I have already been accepted to an IB school. Unfortunately they wont let me into the MYP and are sending me straight to the IB.  I am going to take HL Math (I need it for what I want to study at uni). I am going to skip 2 years (MYP 4, MYP 5) and finally coming to my question: What should I do to prepare for HL Math? Are there any review guides which would fill in the missing knowledge? Any that you could recommend?

Edited by Saguaro

Having taken a brief look at the MYP 3 syllabus, I'm going to have to say that you'll need to do a lot of preparation for HL Math.   It's definitely doable if your math skills are good - just be prepared to take on significantly more work.  Check out these links to see what knowledge you'll need to cover:

http://www.newmanboston.org/Customized/uploads/IB Math HL Course Prior Knowledge.pdf (Summary of required knowledge for HL Maths)

LINK REMOVED DUE TO COPYRIGHT CLAIM

You can use online material such as Khan Academy for learning most of the concepts - go through the precalculus (ignore anything about a matrix or matrices), trigonometry, geometry, and stats and probability section.  You could also work through an IB SL Maths textbook, which would prepare you amply for starting HL.  

For calculus and more advanced algebra, I'd recommend this site: http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/ The explanations are decent, and there are quite a lot of practice problems.  You don't really need to learn calculus before HL Math, but it can make your life a lot easier.  

Edited by Graeme
Removed link to copyright material
  • Like 1