Chemistry IA - topic confusion

Daksh

Hey guys

My topic revolved around GERD and how to treat it. For this I initally took an approach to take a proton pump inhibitor(PPI) and compare it with an antacid. A PPI works by stopping the stomach cells to produce acids while antacids increase the pH. However, after acid base titration, I realised PPIs neutralize acid too.

My teacher however feels that I should compare two antacids rather than take a PPI and an antacid. I personally feel comparing two different medicines would be better. Please give me your opinions.

FYI, my RQ is: Is the recommended dosage of the antacid better at neutralising HCl in the stomach than the recommended dosage of the PPI?

Thanks!!

Unless I am mistaken, I don't see how you would be able to measure how effective the Proton pump inhibitor is without having cells to test it on (I assume you were talking about the pumps in the cell membrane).

During titration, all you are doing is comparing the alkalinity of the PPI to the Antacid. I would, hence suggest that since all you are doing is comparing the alkalinity, it is much better to heed to your teacher's advice and compare two different types of antacids (not brands like Gelusil v Digene, but types like calcium carbonate based ones v/s aluminum hydroxide and magnesium carbonate based, etc.).

If you are still bent on doing PPI v/s antacid, make sure you clarify that you are only looking at their alkalinity and not their holistic effectiveness. Both in your RQ and theory.

Good Luck!^_^

Edited by revumol7