nwvmp

So I applied for the Pre-IB program and personally think it's a good program for me. The school that I'm applying to (Turner Fenton SS in Ontario) does not have an entrance exam.All you have to do is submit your Grade 7 final report card results, your Grade 8 progress report card, and answer 2 questions.1. Choose one IB learning profile characteristic that best describes you.Explain why. 2. How are you going to make the world a better place? (not exact question) I believe that my responses were one of the best paragraphs I wrote in my life, so I'm not worried about them. I mentioned that I recently came in second place in my provincial spelling bee, and hopefully, that'll help me out.

I'm worried about my Grade 7 final report card ruining things for me.Last year, due to my horrible math/sci/homeroom teacher, I got a 74% average in math (I've been getting straight A's in math for my whole life) and a 71% in science (I have gotten better grades in science, but it's not one of my strongest subjects) the rest of my marks were all 84's and up (except for drama) and were especially good in Language, History/Geography and French. I calculated my "academic" average (Math, Science, History/Geo, Language, French) and got an 80% as my average.  My homeroom/sci/math teacher also burdened me with G's (only 2 E's) in the learning skills category. (I've been getting E's my whole life) My Grade 8 progress report card is amazing though, (progressing VERY well in everything but drama) and so are my learning skills (all excellent). 

So do you think I at least have a fair chance of getting accepted? What do you think they will look more closely at? (my final Grade 7 report card, Grade 8 progress report card or application?) Any opinions will be greatly appreciated! Thanks :D

Edited by nwvmp

If the school has no entrance exam, it likely isn't competitive to get in. I wouldn't worry about it too much since you probably have a good shot. I also had 70s on my Grade 7 report card when applying, but I later found out my school just accepted anyone who applied.

Each high school does it differently, so if you're really concerned then perhaps talk to the IB coordinator at that school?

• Like 1

For schools who doesn't do entrance exams, they will usually accept more students because they don't have a limit. That's only usually the case in more rural areas. I think they will actually consider the 2 questions more. My grade 7 report card was not as good where I got a 62 in French, but I showed improvements trough my first term and 2nd term. For my 2 questions, I did not brag. I actually showed some weakness and also wrote about I can overcome them. I think you have a pretty good chance. Keep your hopes up!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...