what if I don't sit the exams

caffeineC8H10N4O2

Hi guys,

I’m writing to you to ask for some help/ advice.

For the last 3 weeks I’ve been struggling with a serious thought of not taking the exams.

I’m supposed to take
the May 2017 session in Biol HL, Chem HL, Eng B HL, Maths SL, Hist SL and Polish SL and I really want to study medicine in the future. However, I have some serious problems:

- I didn’t apply to England as I thought that
the Netherlands would be a better idea. Then, they changed their admission procedures and I decided also not to apply and try next year with this year’s results. At this moment I can only try to get to the uni in my home-country (Poland) which doesn't satisfy me at all.

- But the biggest problem for now is that there is less than 100 days left and I realised that my chances for good grades are close to zero. That makes me horribly hopeless. I’ really down in the dumps (I even think that it can be a litte depression) and because of it I cannot concentrate on studying. Tons of work are waiting and I have some serious backlogs from the last year. It’s the worst with chemistry and maths as I make mistakes in the simplest tasks (which did not happen before).

The situation is getting worse everyday and I get more and more ”paralised”. This makes me think about not taking the exams in May. But I don’t know if it is possible because I have already registered and payed for the exams (however, many is not a big deal in this case).

Does anyone of you know what happens when one doesn’t sit the IB examinations? Would I fail the IB exams and the next year’s would be treated as a retake? Or maybe they would in some way ”cancel” this year’s registration?

Thanks for your help!

Edited by caffeineC8H10N4O2

Hey there Caffein ( I Like the name =) ),

First of all, before I go ahead and answer you questions I would like to say to you; stay strong =)! I know it may seem hard right now, I know that you have a large backlog of work, and from doing the IB, it can be really, really stressful. But, considering you've gotten this far already, try your best to keep going! =D! 

In terms of you wanting to study medicine in the UK, I see no reason why you can't apply now? worst case scenario you'll have to go through clearing =). 

With regards to you getting good grades, don't push yourself down about not doing so well at the moment, instead, try to figure out why this is the case, and if necessary maybe think about getting a tutor to help you through homework, and other things - this should help reduce some of your stress. 

You're saying you're becoming more and more "paralysed" as time goes on, have you thought about talking to your teachers/tutor/counsellor about this, I'm sure they'd be happy to help you! Additionally it could really be beneficial considering you feel so overwhelmed! 

Considering you've already registered for the IB exams, I don't know if you could drop out as such, my best advice is to speak with your IB coordinator. However, just keep this in mind. You have the potential to succeed. I know that your current grades worry you. But that does not mean you won't get good grades. In fact, I think you'll get really good grades. Just stick to it, however hard it gets. And if you need support, talk to your school staff. That is what they're there for. 

If you have any further questions don't hesitate and ask! :) 

Hope this helps you. 

• 2 months later...

I would definitely work alongside with your coordinator to find the best solution for you as they'll be able to guide you through all the options available for you. If you have the energy you can also look through the IB regulations for yourself and see if there's anything there that can help you figure it out (http://www.ibo.org/globalassets/publications/become-an-ib-school/dp-general-regulations-en.pdf)

I would look at article 18, the one about how the IB considers the work of students affected by "adverse circumstances". Depression and severe stress fall under this category and, on a more health-related note, you should consider finding a doctor or therapist who can help you work through them. 

You might also be able to defer exams until November, this would again require you to go to your coordinator. This might also help you figure out your university situation.

I hope you feel better.