Revision Guides

jennyrust

I'm taking my IB exams in May 2009, and I'm thinking it may be a good idea to begin getting organised on revision notes on all the topics I have learnt already but there are some subjects I really struggle with! Especially SL Biology and Maths
So if anyone who has taken their IB exams already or has bought revision guides which they found to be useful with these two subjects could you please tell me?
Thank you!
Jenny

Hi :(

My older brother bought several revision guides before his final exams. He bought the OSC ones - they generally make good revision guides (although I have heard that Revision Courses America / Revision Courses Europe have better courses). I use his revision guide for economy HL, which is quite excellent. On the other hand, the maths one (HL) is not as good at all. I think I've seen Biology and that it is rather good

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Topperbuddy' post='28979' date='Nov 25 2008, 03:11 AM']Hi :)

My older brother bought several revision guides before his final exams. He bought the OSC ones - they generally make good revision guides (although I have heard that Revision Courses America / Revision Courses Europe have better courses). I use his revision guide for economy HL, which is quite excellent. On the other hand, the maths one (HL) is not as good at all. I think I've seen Biology and that it is rather good[/quote]

Hey!

Just wondered what you know about Revision Courses America and Europe.. I'm an IB1 and would like to know more about these courses.. Have heard some about them but can't say I'm sure about taking a revision course.. :0 Do you have any experience of these? I'd really need some help so i'd realy appreciate your comments.. And do you have a website where I can read more about them? I'll try Google myself too..

Thanks! :S

[quote name='jennyrust' post='28537' date='Nov 17 2008, 05:22 AM']I'm taking my IB exams in May 2009, and I'm thinking it may be a good idea to begin getting organised on revision notes on all the topics I have learnt already but there are some subjects I really struggle with! Especially SL Biology and Maths
So if anyone who has taken their IB exams already or has bought revision guides which they found to be useful with these two subjects could you please tell me?
Thank you!
Jenny[/quote]
For bio, get the Study Guide by Andrew Allott and do lots of past papers. Easy 7. :S For math, do lots of questions as well. I forget what book the SLs used to prepare but it was basically just a book with hundreds of questions.

In my opinion, I personally believe "Heinemann HL biology -developed specifically for the IB Diploma" is a must have for biology as well as doing tons of past papers. It's very well explained with lots of colourful diagrams. Its around 700 pages but believe me it's worth it. The andrew allott book is also extremely useful especially for diagrams and definitions, and those tiny boxes are really good for structured recall questions. Allot OUP study guide is a must have as well especially during exam time when revising.
I found the biology course companion not very helpful, unless of course you just want data-based questions.

[quote name='Springbanks' post='29570' date='Dec 3 2008, 05:36 AM']Hey!

Just wondered what you know about Revision Courses America and Europe.. I'm an IB1 and would like to know more about these courses.. Have heard some about them but can't say I'm sure about taking a revision course.. :0 Do you have any experience of these? I'd really need some help so i'd realy appreciate your comments.. And do you have a website where I can read more about them? I'll try Google myself too..

Thanks! :( [/quote]

Well, I haven't attended them myself so I can't say for sure. But my cousin says her whole school attends them and they're supposed to be really good :( their website:
www.revisioncourses.com

or the specific
www.revisioncourses.com/europe
Revision Courses Europe

www.revisioncourses.com/america
Revision Courses America

I think that if you attend revision courses and use revision guides (in the subjects where there are good ones), it's much easier to get the higher grades. I'm planning on going to both Summer and Easter courses. Especially in mathsHL & spanish, I need it :(

peace