So regarding the IB CS IA...

dozren

Hi everyone,

I have a question regarding the CS IA. For quite some time I could not decide on what I should do, since I'm not a particularly good programmer. I watched some videos on Youtube and saw that some people had made games with an editor known as Fusion 2.5. Inspired by a movie I opted to make a playable version of Peg Solitaire in said editor. I already designed the playing board and both the mouse pointer and the playing marble sprites, as well as got the mouse to fnction. However I doubt that I would be able to finish this project of mine, due to a lack of knowledge with the editor.  This is the point at which I should point out the big issue, said being my teacher. He is not a quallfied IB teacher, he isn't very good at English and I doubt that he knows anything about the IB or CS in general. So far he was unable to provide me with any concrete details on the rules of what I need to use to make my product. To this day I do not know whether or not my project is appropriate, and as the deadline aproaches, I have less and less faith in it.

This got me thinking as to whther or not I should change my topic, and after some time I remembered how I made game modifications for The Elder Scrolls 3 in it's respective editor. Naturally this mod would include custom coding for a quest that could have value both in terms of entertainment and education, for example: explaining chemisty through interaction with in-game characters. The issue with this is that I would need to use already existing character models and assets for the mod to function.

I'm intersted as to whether someone has made something similar in the past as well as whether or not my ideas for the IA (both the marble game and the mod) are a good idea. I'd prefer to make the mod one, since I'm more experienced withe the editor.

Thanks in advance guys!

Ozren

On January 23, 2017 at 2:25 PM, dozren said:

Hi everyone,

I have a question regarding the CS IA. For quite some time I could not decide on what I should do, since I'm not a particularly good programmer. I watched some videos on Youtube and saw that some people had made games with an editor known as Fusion 2.5. Inspired by a movie I opted to make a playable version of Peg Solitaire in said editor. I already designed the playing board and both the mouse pointer and the playing marble sprites, as well as got the mouse to fnction. However I doubt that I would be able to finish this project of mine, due to a lack of knowledge with the editor.  This is the point at which I should point out the big issue, said being my teacher. He is not a quallfied IB teacher, he isn't very good at English and I doubt that he knows anything about the IB or CS in general. So far he was unable to provide me with any concrete details on the rules of what I need to use to make my product. To this day I do not know whether or not my project is appropriate, and as the deadline aproaches, I have less and less faith in it.

This got me thinking as to whther or not I should change my topic, and after some time I remembered how I made game modifications for The Elder Scrolls 3 in it's respective editor. Naturally this mod would include custom coding for a quest that could have value both in terms of entertainment and education, for example: explaining chemisty through interaction with in-game characters. The issue with this is that I would need to use already existing character models and assets for the mod to function.

I'm intersted as to whether someone has made something similar in the past as well as whether or not my ideas for the IA (both the marble game and the mod) are a good idea. I'd prefer to make the mod one, since I'm more experienced withe the editor.

Thanks in advance guys!

Ozren

I would recommend reading the IB computer science IA rubric. You must have a client and solve a "real-world" problem or create a useful tool. Here is a page that outlines the rubric and will tell you about each category if you click the links. http://ib.compscihub.net/internal-assessment/overview

Further, this is IB's overview official comp. sci IA page and should help fill you in on what your teacher doesn't know. https://ibpublishing.ibo.org/live-exist/rest/app/tsm.xql?doc=d_4_comsc_tsm_1201_1_e&part=4&chapter=1 Be sure to check out frequently asked questions.

Ultimately, if you submit something that clearly demonstrates through code your mastery of the IBCS curriculum, you should only be marked down a bit for not having a real-life solution. I initially wanted to make a game but my teacher advised me against it and I'm glad he did. Another thing to consider of course is that although IB does not mind and even encourages using and implementing on other systems such as game engines, you will not receive much extra credit for fancy graphical displays or intricate knowledge of these systems.