Public Speaking

allamericangirl94

Well, I've found that the best way is to get comfortable with talking to your teachers and during class discussions, which prepares you really well for having to present things to the class. For public speaking in front of larger groups, I tend to just think of how little attention I usually pay to public speakers, and then realize that that's probably how much attention I'm actually getting, even though it feels like it's quite a bit more than that. For a more utilitarian approach, apparently cyclic breathing works well, though I've only used it for track and field races and the like.

You should write down your ideas on paper before you speak, even if it's something as simple as speaking in class. In the beginning it might seem awkward to just read off the paper, but eventually you will progress and will need just a few notes to help you focus. Also think of some questions that people are likely to ask you if it's a debate or a discussion, so that you are prepared to answer them rather than getting flustered.

How about joining a debate club, or MUN? You also get a chance to defend your opinions, and the experience of speaking in front of people really is valuable.

• 4 weeks later...

What you have is a very common problem. Stage fright is what a lot of speech makers fear of. What i do is write important notes on my q-card, memorize the hard parts of my speech and go up to the stage with the fullest confidence. Usually people get scared of the other student looking at them, in this case focus a little more on the teacher. Always have confidence in your self, and whenever you get stuck believe in your self and just keep going. You know you know it.

• 2 months later...

I'm generally a good speaker but when I first started out I would always make eye contact with a friend who I knew was listening and would smile and nod haha. It was a good confidence boost.

I still do that... search the room for a warm face (since I mostly speak to people I don't know now) and then charge on through.

As you move on through the years you end up speaking in front of people who care about what you have to say or the issues you're presenting... and then speaking isn't such a scary thing :P

If you're in a large room addressing, say, 200+ people, then it's best not to just address the people at the front. Try and look around to the people in the middle/back. Often I take a small paper with bullets just for some reassurance when speaking, but in the end I don't even look at the paper.

When I address a larger group, I don't look at them. I usually look at the back wall, or else at someone I know in the audience. Joining a debate club really helps too, not only in getting over fears of public speaking, but in putting together ideas.

Also, never go into a public speaking event without your major points on a piece of paper, regardless of how well you've prepared. We all blank out sometimes. Also, if you forget something, keep going or improvise. Nobody will know if you don't let them know.

That sounds like an interesting technique, lindieeluieee. I personally would be scared to be speaking to an army of giant carrots. Also, I'd probably get hungry too.

• 4 weeks later...

Confidence is the key to feel comfortable in front of an audience. Don't let them intimidate you!! In the end, their opinion doesn't matter anyways, only the teacher who's grading you! So don't let them shrink you, stand tall and proud! Also, it might help to look at a point behind your audience, avoiding eye contact with anyone. This will prevent some of the intimidation of speaking in front of a crowd! Good luck!

Practice your material a lot, really know what your talking about. I've also been told not to directly look at anyone, when you look up at the audience stare past them or the opposite wall. Its always nice to have your friends in the audience for some re assurance as well.

Zhu ni hao yun (I wish you Good luck) :ot:

• 4 months later...

Practice in front of a mirror or your friends. The more you practice, the more confident you'll become. Also, remember that everyone feels at least slightly nervous when speaking in public so you're not alone. Having a friend to look at when your speaking will make you feel better, but always make sure you make eye contact with other people in the audience. That's important to draw the audience's attention. After some practice, I think you'll be great.

I used to be much worse that OP's description. I used to shake, my voice wouldn't come out, and I used to pause for a really long time.

I dedicated myself to improve this and forced myself into a debate club. I eventually became known for my good speeches. I've been told that I speak like Obama lol.

Honestly, nothing is worst than doing a presentation to a group of disinterested hung-over university students first thing on a Monday morning. I've done it. The idea is look for someone that seem somewhat interested and focus on them because I find it easier to talk when you think someone is listening. I don't know, some people think the opposite, but the idea of standing there rambling when no one is listening or know what I'm talking about is very nerve-wrecking. Maybe that's because I would like to think what I say is worth something and the fact that no one is listening doesn't confirm that.

The day before the presentation:

Practice it 1-2 times using a note card, memorize the important parts.

Ask a family member or friend to watch you - will provide helpful criticism.

5 minutes before the presentation:

Build your confidence by telling yourself that everyone is as nervous as you are. The trick is to simply hide the fact. Go on and remember the practice from last night, and how it was done with ease. This should be no different. Remember that you are well prepared and you have nothing to be afraid of.

During the presentation:

Look at the back of the room, or focus on a few specific people in different corners who have a friendly expression. You could do the whole "imagine everyone naked" thing, but it has never worked for me. Look above the audience's head - gives the illusion you are looking directly at them when you really aren't.

It gets easier with experience. MUN really worked for me. I found it much, much easier talking in front of strangers than people I know, though.

• 1 year later...

When I have to speak in front of class I tend to look above peoples heads most of the time but i do make eye contact. Most of my classes are full of my bffs so that does make it easier and when I look at everyone they always smile because they know exactly how I feel. When we did pratice IOP's in english class I kind of detached from myself in a way, like I forget the exact words I might have used or I cant quite remember being up there speaking. Before I went up there and spoke I remembered that I was with a group of people who care about me and kept in mind that I had to watch them get up and speak, watch them if they had trouble and get embarassed and that it was my turn for whatever happened. :lc:

Pratice makes perfect though, and when you speak act as if your an expert on your subject dont speak as though everything your say is a question. Be confident.

Edited by Jazmine