IB Chemistry vs IB Biology

flumpool

I'm a sophomore planning out my schedule next year. I've been in the pre-IB program for 9th grade and currently 10th grade, taking Bio the first year and currently Chem. I really don't know what to do for my career yet, but I've been thinking of being a dietitian... I think I struggled more with Bio than Chem? (like memorization vs calculation - I've done pretty well with the stoichiometry stuff this year compared to the enzymes and body process last year). With this career in mind, which one would be the best option? Thank you!

I do know that medicine emphasises Chem over Bio, and I'd imagine that the requirements aren't particularly different, so if you really can't do both at HL, then I would recommend what Gaurav19 said.  The ideal, though, would be to do both sciences at HL - both are pretty important towards most careers in the health industry.  

• Like 1

In Chemistry HL, calculation is only about 30%. If your state gives the opportunity, you should take both, one in IB the other one in a summer or night or weekend class. Eventually for dietitian you will have to take both biology and chemistry in future studies. I would recommend Chemistry HL and biology outside of IB. Conceptual understanding is a major component of Chemistry HL so definitely be prepared. 

• Like 2