Extended Essay: Need feedback on research questions / topic focus (English)

Chara

So far I've come up with three different approaches to what I want to work on for my EE; which is western animation. The movies that I have seen potential in for analysis are the ones mentioned in the questions. 

I need some feedback on which of these is more acceptable for an English Extended Essay (if any) and some suggestions on the wording/scope of them.

The first was suggested to me by my adviser.

Topic

Question

South American Settings

How are South American settings explored in Postcolonial American Animated Films “The Road To El Dorado” and “Emperor’s New Groove”?

Postcolonial Theory

To what extent are Ancient World Cultures portrayed accurately in Postcolonial Animated Films “Moana” and “Kubo and The Two Strings”?

Character Dynamics

To what extent do the main characters in “The Road to El Dorado” and “The Emperor’s New Groove” interact through similar dynamics?

Thank you!  :nicole:

Edited by Chara

Hello!

I think you have good ideas, but you do need to develop them further regardless of which one you choose. If I had to vote, I would choose the third question. I think it would be a great idea to compare both movies and their portrayal of the characters. Yet, you should delimit your question more. Perhaps you could elaborate on how they interact through similar dynamics regarding friendship or other aspect. Although your topic is interesting, I don't know if it covers the requirements of an English EE. I advise you to read the EE guide to make sure that you are fulfilling the demands of the EE in this subject.

Good luck!

• Like 1

On 1/28/2017 at 7:39 PM, Natalia Hess said:

Hello!

I think you have good ideas, but you do need to develop them further regardless of which one you choose. If I had to vote, I would choose the third question. I think it would be a great idea to compare both movies and their portrayal of the characters. Yet, you should delimit your question more. Perhaps you could elaborate on how they interact through similar dynamics regarding friendship or other aspect. Although your topic is interesting, I don't know if it covers the requirements of an English EE. I advise you to read the EE guide to make sure that you are fulfilling the demands of the EE in this subject.

Good luck!

Hey! Thank you so much.

I was worried about the requirements too, but since I've spoken to my adviser who is also my English teacher about it and she did not mention any problems with that I assumed it was alright. I think I will ask her about it again.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, all of your research questions sound wonderful, however, just like Natalia mentioned, you need to go sort of in depth with your question. One of my friends is doing her EE and had to narrow down her analyzation of a character's behavior in a movie to just one scene. Perhaps you can choose to compare 1 scene from each movie.