"major review of IB scoring is ongoing" in Irish universities?

myjn

604f8ad95fd3aac119bb594dc250da67.png

Gahhh, I've taken an interest in applying to Irish universities in 2018, and then I see this (I attached the screenshot of the entry requirements page at one of the unis above). What do you guys think? I'm super stressed as it is, and honestly, I am so afraid. Do you think that the change will be positive or negative? With positive, I mean lowering the requirements and making it easier for IB students? I have absolutely no idea what to expect and I keep thinking about it every single day, which makes me incredibly stressed :((

Also, sorry in advance if this is in a wrong section or anything, I have never posted before so I'm a bit unsure about this whole forum!

Edited by myjn

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, at the moment the IB to Irish conversion is very simple (and kinda dumb if you ask me), So IB 45 = Irish 600 (the highest Irish grade).
So it will most likely get easier for IB students to apply and get accepted into Irish universities and colleges, that is if they decide to lower the requirements after the review. But considering the challenge that IB is, with CAS, EE, and all the FOAs and IEs, they will most likely lower it to attract more international students.

So dont worry my friend, all will be well :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, swedishgäri said:

Hello, at the moment the IB to Irish conversion is very simple (and kinda dumb if you ask me), So IB 45 = Irish 600 (the highest Irish grade).
So it will most likely get easier for IB students to apply and get accepted into Irish universities and colleges, that is if they decide to lower the requirements after the review. But considering the challenge that IB is, with CAS, EE, and all the FOAs and IEs, they will most likely lower it to attract more international students.

So dont worry my friend, all will be well :)

Thank you so much for the reply! I feel much better about this now :')) 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Currently, the conversion system makes IB points much lower in the Leaving Cert system, so they're changing it to make the conversion easier on IB students. The dept. thinks there's too much pressure on IB students and the expectations are unrealistically high. It's been a common topic of discussion among expat families for several years now, and this year they're taking an active interest. For next year, they're making new requirements that will be fairer all around. :) Don't panic!

I'm Irish  myself (an expat family member), so I feel you!