Does an IA need to be original???

ibnewB

Does an IA need to be 100% original? I am really struggling to come up with a topic, but have a few ideas bellow. I am fairly decent at chemistry and know I can write a good lab report but coming up with an idea on what I can do is quite challenging, as I have been looking for one since November last year, but still can't find one that I think would be good to do.

Here I have a couple of ideas on possible IAs. Would any of these ones be good to develop for a HL chem IA???

• Effect of gum on pH of saliva after drinking sports drinks
  • effects of different toothpastes on tooth decay
  • calories of differrent cooking oils (find which has least and is best)
  • calories of chocolate (or some sort of chemical analysis).
  • theobromine content in different types of chocolate (why it is dangerous to eat for dogs)
  • content of Ca in different types of milk

All very interesting! The procedure need not to be 100% original but all analysis needs to be. You are however expected to properly cite all references. You should strive for a very solid understanding of your experiment, as opposed to try really hard to come up with a fully original procedure. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rosalina said:

I think all of these options are viable- it's strictly dependent on the methodology and what you exactly want to do with the data you've gathered.

3 hours ago, kw0573 said:

All very interesting! The procedure need not to be 100% original but all analysis needs to be. You are however expected to properly cite all references. You should strive for a very solid understanding of your experiment, as opposed to try really hard to come up with a fully original procedure. 

So in saying that, how would I connect it to a HL componenet of the course. That is what I am struggling with. I am quite interested in the chocolate one, but which section of the course would it be about?