Switching from Biology to Physics Pre-IB

I am a Pre-IB student currently taking Biology, however I am considering switching from Biology to Physics, as I will likely be taking Physics SL next year in IB1, as many university design and architecture courses require Physics SL and Math SL from IB applicants. Is it better to switch now and take Physics for the final semester, or study Physics over the summer to be prepared for Physics in the IB? 

Is Physics less heavy on memorization and more on applying concepts directly compared to Biology? 

P.S, what sort of websites/textbooks are recommended for Physics, as i will likely also self-study along with taking Physics this year in order to be better prepared for IB1 

:)

Hi BernOnFire, it is true that physics require less memorizing since all the formulas you need are all on the formula sheet. If you are not taking biology in DP, then it would be great if you could switch to physics to have a taste of it before next year. In my opinion, you don't really to study extra content to prepare for physics SL, because I had no prior knowledge in physics and I am still doing well in it. And it all depends on what your interest is. If you love biology more, then stay in biology. 

If you really want to prepare physics over the summer, then I suggest a website called Kognity. It is a paid online IB textbook. I found the content there being really accurate and helpful. 

I hope this helped:D

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Ludwig S said:

Hi BernOnFire, it is true that physics require less memorizing since all the formulas you need are all on the formula sheet. If you are not taking biology in DP, then it would be great if you could switch to physics to have a taste of it before next year. In my opinion, you don't really to study extra content to prepare for physics SL, because I had no prior knowledge in physics and I am still doing well in it. And it all depends on what your interest is. If you love biology more, then stay in biology. 

If you really want to prepare physics over the summer, then I suggest a website called Kognity. It is a paid online IB textbook. I found the content there being really accurate and helpful. 

I hope this helped:D

Thanks for the info, I'll probably be switching to Physics anyway, most universities I've checked require Physics or suggest taking it, especially for courses in the Design/Architecture fields :)

Definitely swap to physics now instead of going into IB1 with no physics knowledge.
I take physics SL and im in my final year. I took physics in pre-IB and it helped a lot! A guy from my class didn't and is rather screwed now late in IB2 as he doesnt know simple terminology that reappears. Also, dont think physics is not about memorizing. You will need to memorize all the terminology and the definition of it as every single exam has definition questions. Also, not every single formula is in the data booklet, you will need to know other formulas by heart.
http://ibdiploma.cambridge.org/ you can create an account on this website, download the physics book and see what it is all about. The others in my year who take physics and biology, all say that physics is what is messing them up. Please do not take it as an easy subject because then you will struggle

1 hour ago, Wubbalubba said:

Definitely swap to physics now instead of going into IB1 with no physics knowledge.
I take physics SL and im in my final year. I took physics in pre-IB and it helped a lot! A guy from my class didn't and is rather screwed now late in IB2 as he doesnt know simple terminology that reappears. Also, dont think physics is not about memorizing. You will need to memorize all the terminology and the definition of it as every single exam has definition questions. Also, not every single formula is in the data booklet, you will need to know other formulas by heart.
http://ibdiploma.cambridge.org/ you can create an account on this website, download the physics book and see what it is all about. The others in my year who take physics and biology, all say that physics is what is messing them up. Please do not take it as an easy subject because then you will struggle

I have heard about physics being one of the more or most difficult sciences in IB, but I find it more enjoyable and it does help when you enjoy and want to learn more about the subject itself, I'll check that website out, thanks for the help I really appreciate it! :):):) ,