Hello everyone, 

I'm struggling to write my English Literature Written Assignment, so any help at all will be very appreciated.

My title is "How does Dorfman use the relationship between the gun and light to examine the theme of empowerment in "Death and the Maiden"?"

I need help on structuring my essay like what should my three points be?

Thank you so so much.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I definitely think you should focus part of your essay on explaining the relevance of each symbol, because I've read the book and honestly don't quite understand how you came to this idea (the gun is easy, light not so much). This obviously makes it a very good one (seriously, now that I think about it, it's such a cool title and area to analyse) if you can back up your thesis.

If your focus is on empowerment I think you could concentrate on the contrast seen in Paulina with and without the gun. Look for scenes where she's vulnerable and unarmed and compare them to scenes where she's armed and confident (or even the other way around; unarmed and calm vs armed and confused, hysteric)

You can concentrate on light vs dark scenes and how they support the theme of empowerment as a second point, then how both light and the gun interact as symbols as your final point to draw it all together and support your thesis.

I hope this was helpful (and not too late)! The best plan of action is honestly to only use what I said here as a springboard, and to come up with your own structure that you feel most comfortable with.