4 HLs can I in November session write Maths SL instead of HL?

InaWhite

Hi! 

I'm in 1 IB now but I made this mistake and took Maths HL. At the beginning of the year I had 3 HLs: Physics HL, Maths HL and French B HL. My school doesn't allow any changes 2 weeks after choosing subjects, but I managed to change also Arts SL to HL as I want to go for Architecture Design. I can't change the levels of Maths but I still got 4 HLs. I'm afraid I will have a bad grade from Maths on exams. So can I write the November session exams (retake) but with Maths SL? I will still have 3 HLs (Physics, Arts and French B).

Because if not, I will be looking for A-levels. To have 2 certificates, because I will really fail the Maths exams and I'm heading for UCL.

Yes you can write Math SL in re-take. However since you are taking 4 HLs, you should still be able to change Math HL to SL right now. The whole point that many people take 4 HLs is to take only the 3 best HLs in year 2. You should try your best to convince your school, because it's still by no means too late for IB examiners but it's just a pesky rule your school has. What I am going to say is that IB doesn't care if you take SL in the retakes, but check if your school has additional rules. 

You should try again, stating that IB will allow changes up until 6 months (Nov 15) before exams without any penalty to the student or to the school. The only issue for school is scheduling, and if you take Math HL this year and transfer to SL in the fall, that should take care of any scheduling issue. I took Math HL and I want everyone to take the course, but your HLs may just be too much. You should talk to your coordinator specifically about changing course that happens in between semesters (or trimesters), and not in the middle of one. If they still say no, ask them to justify their rules and why would it make a difference for the school to not let you switch from HL to SL after completion of year 1. 

• Like 1

On 04/02/2017 at 4:52 PM, kw0573 said:

You should try again, stating that IB will allow changes up until 6 months (Nov 15) before exams without any penalty to the student or to the school. The only issue for school is scheduling, and if you take Math HL this year and transfer to SL in the fall, that should take care of any scheduling issue. I took Math HL and I want everyone to take the course, but your HLs may just be too much. You should talk to your coordinator specifically about changing course that happens in between semesters (or trimesters), and not in the middle of one. If they still say no, ask them to justify their rules and why would it make a difference for the school to not let you switch from HL to SL after completion of year 1. 

Well, my school got this unpleasant situation last year. They allowed 3 students to change their subject after a year. 2 of them failed and now they're suing the school in court (even though they signed papers of responsibility). IB team that was here last year told out school not to permit the changes. We had to sign documents confirming that I can;t change them